Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Dynon Avionics, Inc.

Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flightplan from Voyager (Read 2777 times)
Jun 19th, 2012 at 3:08pm

KNicholas2   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

I do my flightplanning in Voyager which are saved as an .FP file.  I recently installed a Dynon Skyview into my RV9 and it wants .GPX files for the map and autopilot.

Voyager (Seattle Avionics) and Dynon are in the same building in Woodinville, Wa!    I want to save and export my Voyager flightplans into a GPX format for Skyview.

I talked to a some  very nice people at Voyager but in the end I still can't figure out a way to export the fp's in  a format that makes Skyview happy.

To ME,  it seems natural that two companies that are only 30 feet apart from one another would offer some compatability.  I cannot be the only pilot out there with this problem.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Kim Nicholas
Seattle

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 8:27pm

KNicholas2   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

.. after reading my post,  I realized that it may seen a bit "snotty" or critical of Dynon or Seattle Avionics.  It was not intended to be - I am just entertained by the fact that the two companies share a building but not information.   I am thoroughly pleased and impressed with the products from both companies.

Regards,

Kim Nicholas
Seattle

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 10:08pm

meyerflyer   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!
Redding  CA

I use Voyager also and I second that.

Dan

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 12:56pm

mmarien   Offline
Expert
Murray M.
Saskatoon SK CAN

I think the GPX format is a generally accepted universal transfer protocol with a number of programs reading writing the format. Perhaps some pressure should be put on Voyager to import/export in that format. Smiley

Glasair II FT - o320 - P-Mags - EFII - MTV 3 Blade CS - VP-X - Single 10" Skyview - Stratux Dual Band - zooooom ...
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 7:08pm

Dynon Support   Offline
Forum Administrator
Dynon Employee
Dynon Technical Support

We agree with mmarien, but, there's hope.
-On Voyager, save / export the flight plan to Google Earth format (not sure which menu this is in, sorry - a colleague gave me the data file from voyager). This gets you which will get you a .KML file.
-Feed that data file into http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input, selecting GPX file output in the top of the gray box of options. You can leave everything else alone.
-On the output page, follow the "right click..." instructions to save the GPX file to your computer. Get that file on a  USB stick.
-Plug the USB stick into SkyView. Import the GPX file under MENU > MAP > FLP > IMPORT tab.
-Activate the flight plan under the FPL menu.

Hope that helps!

Please do not use Private Messaging on forum to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print