Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Dynon Avionics, Inc.

Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Attitude Indication disappointment... (Read 4400 times)
Feb 25th, 2013 at 9:47am

Jack Tyler   Offline

I'm wondering if I should send my D1 back for a check-out; perhaps you can advise.  It's on the panel of my Grumman Tiger in your 'pinch mount'.  Lock has been totally steady, from 3 to 5 bars (mostly 5).  On the first few flights, I found it occasionally is inconsistent with my vacuum AI (just rebuilt BTW).  In light turb it would repeatedly roll up to 10 degrees in one direction, inconsistent with the a/c's attitude.  I couldn't correlate the rolling (which developed slowly, the self-corrected over a period of 1-2 mins) to a/c movement at all.  On yesterday's flight and in smooth air, it was opposite the AI in small (1-2 degree) increments at times, altho' normally it mimicks the AI nicely.  Everything else is 'as advertised'.  I would not trust it right now in the goo should I lose vacuum, yet that's what I bought it for.

Have others experienced this?  Couldn't find this discussed in the other threads I read.  Hoping the moderator might have some thoughts.  So far:  Very clever product, great form factor, undependable attitude performance for me. Q's & comments welcome.

Jack

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 12:01pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

Hi Jack,

There have been a couple of customers that have experienced what you have. We think we have a solution that involves a small software fix. We'll be in touch with you directly via email.

Please do not use Private Messaging on form to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 6:46am

Jay Yau   Offline
RV-7 O-360 CS Prop. Dual
Skyviews/AHRS. TruTrak
AP
Torrance, California

Jack,

Can you share the finding with us?

RV-7
Flew to Alaska 4 times from Southern California.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 5:37am

Jack Tyler   Offline

Sorry for the delay in offering a follow-up.  The 'fix' took some time to get, install and initially test.  One of Dynon's software gurus had found this is a rare, vibration-induced issue that previously had shown up on some Mooneys.  I was the first Grumman AA-5X a/c to mention it.  The s/w engineer sent me a 'patched' OS that seemed to have solved the issue in other a/c, so I installed and have been using it in my D-1.  I only have ~5 hrs on it so far but, so far, haven't had the problem reappear.  I do get a very infrequent, tiny vertical 'jiggle' in the center of the display occasionally - I've only seen it twice so far - that lasts for a second or so, and that may be an artifact of the vibration issue - don't know.  But for now, I'd say 'problem solved'.

BTW I coincidentally had my prop dynamically balanced the same day I first began using my D-1, so that alone was not the cause of the vibration issue, if that's what I was experiencing.

Jack

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 11:09am

Bob Bogash   Offline
I love flying!

SV 5.1 RV-12. I am in the final preps for first flight. Yesterday, I did my first taxi runs - I did three over more than an hour's running time, including engine runups and brake tests etc.

I got a recurring Caution: ACTV ADAHRS VIBRATION.

Page 9-6 Rev M of the Users Guide says "Troubleshoot when able"

Troubleshoot what? I physically sense no abnormal vibration in the airframe; the engine ran smoothly; run-up was normal.

The ADAHRS is mounted securely in the Vans installation brackets on the top/aft portion of the fuselage, and during the installation, seemed very rigid and secure.

Comments and ideas?

Bob Bogash
N737G

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 6:18pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

First thing to look at - what does the G-meter on the PFD look like?

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 1:02pm

flying_john   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

Dont normally like to say "Me too" but my D1 seems to share this difficulty. See my post in the "D1 goes into tragedy" thread.

J
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2013 at 1:03pm by flying_john »  
IP Logged

Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2013 at 12:17pm

flying_john   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

Well it seems a long time ago now - but the weather has been bad in the UK. Finally got the software update for the D1 and flew for 20 minutes and it seemed OK. Have a long Xcountry planned for the weekend (if the weather is OK) so should give it a real shakedown.

John
EGMF

IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 23rd, 2013 at 6:29pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

We actually just released a software update yesterday that can help with aircraft that transmit vibration into the D1 through the mounting point: http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/support_software_D1.html

IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 28th, 2013 at 5:46am

flying_john   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

Did 6hrs over the weekend, Jersey, France and back to UK. Sadly the D1 was v. sick even after update.

When I got to my last destination in France I swapped instruments with another D1 owner to see if it was the vibration induced issue discussed above. The "loan" D1 was perfect. My own in the other aircraft - a motor glider - behaved badly.  Hopefully will get a solution drom Dynon but at the moment I am a little cross that it doesnt work properly as, just like the original poster of this thread, bought it to back up the Vac instrument and I wouldnt trust it the way it is. 10 degree bank and also an oscillation of the horizon from side to side repeating every second.

John

IP Logged

Reply #10 - May 28th, 2013 at 2:41pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

flying_john: would you PM your email address?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print