Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Dynon Avionics, Inc.

Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
seeking full dimensioned drawing of D1 / D2 (Read 4025 times)
Jan 17th, 2015 at 9:05am

Rowland   Offline
Europa #435 in build
Cheltenham, England

I am considering dropping a D1 or D2 into a hole formerly occupied by a mechanical gyro. It looks as though it should fit between the other instruments, but it's not clear how far from the panel it protrudes when mounted using the "pinch" mount for a 3.125" instrument hole. I'm concerned about the space available to operate the knob for the pressure setting on the adjacent altimeter.

It also looks as though the power lead, when plugged into the power socket on the right-hand side, could foul the altimeter pressure setting knob, which would be rather unsatisfactory!

Is a full dimensioned drawing of the D1 / D2 available? I'm surprised I haven't been able to find this on the Dynon website as so many other avionics suppliers do make such drawings available to help potential purchasers in their decision-making.

in friendship

Rowland

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2015 at 9:54am

Dynon Support   Offline
Forum Administrator
Dynon Employee
Dynon Technical Support

Rowland,
The dimensions are in the user manual:

Dimensions (exclusive of projections/buttons/switches)
3.63 inches (92mm) W
3.26 inches (83mm) H
1.16 inches (29mm) D

It will protrude a bit more, probably about 7mm when in the pinch mount, and will take up a bit more space top/bottom as well with the pinch around it. We can get you those exact dimensions on Monday if you still need them. As a portable device, we don't quite document the dimensions as thoroughly as we do our permanently installed devices.

I don't know what plane you'd like to put this in, or what your local rules are, but at least in the USA, you cannot use the D1/D2 to replace a failed instrument in a certificated airplane. It can be an additional instrument, but it is not certified in any way, so it can't be a primary instrument that was required by the type certificate.

If you have an experimental plane, we'd really recommend the D6, which is meant to be permanently installed, and can give you pressure based airspeed and altitude as well as magnetic heading.

Please do not use Private Messaging on forum to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2015 at 11:13am

Rowland   Offline
Europa #435 in build
Cheltenham, England

Thanks for the prompt reply. I think that gives me enough info to decide where it can fit.

It's a homebuilt, not a certified aircraft, so there is no legal issue.

The original installation was a traditional 6-pack, but it was not cleared nor intended for IFR use. One of the gyros has failed and rather than replacing it with a quite expensive mechanical device I'm now considering the possibility of removing all the mechanical gyros and using the D1 (or D2) to replace them all. It would have been nice to put the D1 top centre (in place of the horizon) but obviously given the dimensions and the power supply connexion position that would foul the altimeter. Instead I can put it bottom centre (in place of the DI) as it looks like there will be no problem with the adjacent VSI.

If you have full dimensions for the D1 in the pinch mount, I'd appreciate having them at your convenience.

The D6 looks very nice, and not much more expensive than the D1, but is even wider and would not fit into the space available in my panel.

Thanks again for responding.

in friendship

Rowland

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 9:57am

Rowland   Offline
Europa #435 in build
Cheltenham, England

Rowland wrote on Jan 17th, 2015 at 11:13am:
If you have full dimensions for the D1 in the pinch mount, I'd appreciate having them at your convenience.

I'm still interested in having those full dimensions or a drawing or _even_ a nice square-on photo of the right-hand-side of the D1 (or D2) installed in the pinch mount.

in friendship

Rowland

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 11:02am

Bebo Rametta   Offline
Pisa-LIRP, Italy

I just purchased a D2 and installed in my Tecnam P92's cockpit in the central position as you consider to do.
The D2 interferes a little with the altimeter pressure setting knob, particularly with 5V plug, but in my opinion in a non annoying way.
Sorry but I have no photos yet of the cockpit with D2, due to bad weather that not allows to fly, but as soon as possible I'll take some photos to show you and you could see if D2 fits good.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 12:00pm

Rowland   Offline
Europa #435 in build
Cheltenham, England

Bebo - thanks for your encouraging message.

I've recently had the thought that I can put a little extension on the altimeter setting knob (a few minutes work in the lathe on a piece of 6mm hex brass) that will move the knob out from the panel enough to give a good grip on it clear of the D1/D2. This also means that since the extension will be a smaller diameter than the knob itself, this change will provide a tiny bit more clearance in the area of the power socket, so I might just be able to get the power plug in.

Back on 17th Jan the guy from Dynon said "We can get you those exact dimensions on Monday" but unfortunately he didn't say WHICH Monday!

in friendship

Rowland

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 3:09pm

Bebo Rametta   Offline
Pisa-LIRP, Italy

This is a good idea, because is not so easy to plug the socket when the D2 is on site, but you always can do that before blocking the D2 in the panel.
I will take photos on sunday, but I cannot assure WHICH sunday  Wink  Smiley

Ciao!

Bebo.

Rowland wrote on Feb 6th, 2015 at 12:00pm:
Bebo - thanks for your encouraging message.

I've recently had the thought that I can put a little extension on the altimeter setting knob (a few minutes work in the lathe on a piece of 6mm hex brass) that will move the knob out from the panel enough to give a good grip on it clear of the D1/D2. This also means that since the extension will be a smaller diameter than the knob itself, this change will provide a tiny bit more clearance in the area of the power socket, so I might just be able to get the power plug in.

Back on 17th Jan the guy from Dynon said "We can get you those exact dimensions on Monday" but unfortunately he didn't say WHICH Monday!

in friendship

Rowland
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2015 at 3:11pm by Bebo Rametta »  
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2015 at 11:24am

Bebo Rametta   Offline
Pisa-LIRP, Italy

Here they are the photos

« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2015 at 11:34am by Bebo Rametta »  
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2015 at 2:56pm

Rowland   Offline
Europa #435 in build
Cheltenham, England

Bebo - thanks, that is helpful! Looks, though, as if you have a bit more space between the instruments than me. Here attached is a picture of the relevant part of my panel.

in friendship

Rowland

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2015 at 4:09pm

Bebo Rametta   Offline
Pisa-LIRP, Italy

I must check without D2, but it seems you are right, I've more space.
My plane is about 5 minutes from home, no problem to make other photos if you need.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print