HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Performance Snapshot (Read 375 times)
Mar 7th, 2017 at 11:50am

Mark Dickens   Offline
Frequent Poster
RV-8 in Phase One Testing

Allow the recording of performance parameters at an instant in time by pressing a button. Each snapshot file (csv) would consist of one data line (and a header line) and include all of the fields normally included in the logs. This capability would allow the pilot to instantly record performance for the purposes of calibrating airspeed, performing engine leaning tests, etc and would eliminate the need to try and write down (or scroll through multitudes of log data to get to) a data point.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 2:23pm

RayInGA   Offline
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

Mark,

I like this idea too. It would help when sending logs off to AFP to get the right injector restrictors to aid in LOP operations.

Ray Eaker
RV-7A flying since 27 Jan 2017
Dual Skyview 1000T with all the standard VFR goodies
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 4:06pm

Dynon Support   Offline
Forum Administrator
Dynon Employee
Dynon Technical Support

As an idea that doesn't require new software from Dynon, if what you are looking for is data that is on the screen (which I assume it is because you mentioned writing it down), you can use the screenshot function for this. Buttons 2&7 at the same time save an image to a USB drive if connected, with a timestamp. Seems like that might work just as well as a single line CSV with just lots of columns of data.

Please do not use Private Messaging on forum to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 4:32pm

Mark Dickens   Offline
Frequent Poster
RV-8 in Phase One Testing

RayInGA wrote on Mar 7th, 2017 at 2:23pm:
Mark,

I like this idea too. It would help when sending logs off to AFP to get the right injector restrictors to aid in LOP operations.

That's one good use of the info for sure and one that occurred to me while we were at the class. I also think it would come in handy if you saw something odd happening and didn't have a USB drive handy to snap screen shots.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 7:43am

RayInGA   Offline
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

I remembered the screen-shot capability after posting and I almost always keep a thumb drive attached to my left screen. It would work for my needs when retrieving data to tune injectors. Just need to put a sticky on my panel so I remember the buttons to push. Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2017 at 7:43am by RayInGA »  

Ray Eaker
RV-7A flying since 27 Jan 2017
Dual Skyview 1000T with all the standard VFR goodies
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 7:39am

gtae07   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

I guess the other alternative would be the ability to put an "event marker" in the data file, triggered off a button press. 

Does the log give you the ability to record open-closed sensor states?  E.g. some builders have a "canopy unlocked" or "wing pins" widget on the EMS page; could you wire up a momentary pushbutton to an input and just have that state in the data file?  Then you could just search for lines where the input is closed...

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 4:24pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

Yes, that's basically what people do. Set up a contact input on an otherwised-unused pin. Hook up to a momentary switch, and then use the state change that happens when it's open vs closed.

Please do not use Private Messaging on form to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print