Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Dynon Avionics, Inc.

Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuel indications EMS D120 (Read 477 times)
Jun 13th, 2017 at 7:32am

kerstens   Offline
I love flying!

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have recently acquired an FK14 ultralight with a D100 and D120 systems. The FK14 has left and right tank in the wings.
If I pose silly questions that has already been answered please accept my apologies.
I studied both the Installation and Users Manuals.
In the standard screen there is a left and right tank indication with yellow indications with numerals which are beyond me.....
As far as I know there is only one FF meter (Floscan). How do I input the actual liters in the left and right tank. Or is the total amount of fuel. How do I know how much fuel is there in the left and right tank. There is a fuel selector OpenL, Closed, OpenR.

Best regards Jan

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 4:48pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

The fuel quantity bar graphs are direct measurements from the tank sensors. They work completely independently from the fuel computer. The best way to see both at the same time is to switch the D120 to its fuel page. There, you'll see the bar graphs with numbers on the outer portion of the page. These - again - are the in-tank measurements and don't interact with the fuel computer. The fuel computer's numbers are displayed down the middle of that page. To adjust the fuel tank quantities, bring up the FUEL menu, and then you can make the adjustments to the fuel computer quantity from there.

Please do not use Private Messaging on form to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 1:14am

kerstens   Offline
I love flying!

OK there are tanksensors. The total amount of fuel is simply the addition of these measurements if the sensors are adequately calibrated. This number can be used for input in the fuel computer.
Other issue.
There is one tanksensor that gives 26+ while there is no fuel present. Is this a question of calibration. If not how can this problem be solved?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2017 at 8:08am by kerstens »  
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 4:39pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

That sounds like a sensor that may have become disconnected from the EMS-D120, so I'd probably start there.

Please do not use Private Messaging on form to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 11:08pm

kerstens   Offline
I love flying!

Thanks.
Based on your experience what is the most likely location to start looking at a possible disconnection?

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 7:17am

Robski   Offline
Hang on! I've got an idea!

I'd disconnect the D37 at the D120 and the wire at the sender and check to continuity with a multi-meter as a starting point.
Check for continuity and resistance (should be negligible) from one end to the other of the wire
Check also for no continuity / infinite resistance to ground.

After that I'd consider draining the tank and then adding fuel incrementally, checking the resistance of the sender (ground to outlet) as you go (once per gallon / 5 litres). Compare the results with the specs for the sender.

Just trying to remember whether the resistance increases or decreases with fuel level...
Need to consult my notes. Which are at home.

Rob Swain
Software Developer (Retired)
Shropshire, UK
Van's RV-6

If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 3:29am

kerstens   Offline
I love flying!

Thanks Rob,
The D-37 has pins 20 and 21 for Fuel Levels. So I will put one probe of the multimeter here. But where do I put the other probe as the sensor is inside the tank?

There is also a nylon type connector (wings can be removed) so that I will start there checking first the integrity.

In summary:

1. from female connector and D-37 pins
2. form male connector and where?????

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 6:37pm

jakej   Offline
Expert
Australia

IMO (politely) it would be best for you to get some more skilled local help - it will save a lot of time & frustration for you  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2017 at 5:52am

Robski   Offline
Hang on! I've got an idea!

jakej wrote on Jun 17th, 2017 at 6:37pm:
IMO (politely) it would be best for you to get some more skilled local help - it will save a lot of time & frustration for you  Wink

Given the response supplied I would have to say the same.

Rob Swain
Software Developer (Retired)
Shropshire, UK
Van's RV-6

If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print