HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
ADSB 472 (Read 39138 times)
Reply #200 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 7:42pm

dwightsmall   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

I have several flights with the improved -472 and with firmware V15.3.3 and it works well. Not dropping targets as before and I am slowly gaining confidence that I am "seeing" all possible traffic.  I have been flying mostly in the mountainous southern Arizona area around Tucson and Phoenix. Occasionally I will see a target disappear but that only seems to happen when a plane is flying at a lower altitude and flies into a radar mountain shadow or descends below an altitude where radar coverage would is doubtful. I really like the fact that I'm getting reliable 1090 and 978 traffic direct, airplane to airplane, from those planes equipped with either 1090 or 978 out. My status report in the lower right  part of my Dynon display sometimes briefly drops from ADSB OK to TIS OK or ADSB NO RADAR but that only seems to happen when the receiver is switching from one ADSB tower to another. The status display might switch back and forth a couple or three times in a few seconds but recovers stability nicely. I have not seen any traffic displays or warnings coming from my own plane.   I've challenged the new equipment/software rather hard by flying low around the Tucson area mountains and I think it is working as well as the ADSB system is capable of doing.  I'm happy with it.

IP Logged

Reply #201 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 7:55pm

GalinHdz   Offline
KSGJ/KBQN

So how do we go about getting our "old" -472 replaced/upgraded to a "new" -472 unit? Do we have to contact DYNON or will DYNON contact us?

Huh
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2018 at 7:56pm by GalinHdz »  

N819PR
IP Logged

Reply #202 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 8:29pm

jakej   Offline
Expert
Australia

I’m guessing Dynon will announce when they are ready to do that, probably working on the best solution that helps everyone - they know that many are waiting for a solution.😉

IP Logged

Reply #203 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 11:33am

rleffler   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

I had similar experiences with the ADSB status until I used the Flightaware filter.   I've not had an unexpected status change since then.

dwightsmall wrote on Mar 14th, 2018 at 7:42pm:
I have several flights with the improved -472 and with firmware V15.3.3 and it works well. Not dropping targets as before and I am slowly gaining confidence that I am "seeing" all possible traffic.  I have been flying mostly in the mountainous southern Arizona area around Tucson and Phoenix. Occasionally I will see a target disappear but that only seems to happen when a plane is flying at a lower altitude and flies into a radar mountain shadow or descends below an altitude where radar coverage would is doubtful. I really like the fact that I'm getting reliable 1090 and 978 traffic direct, airplane to airplane, from those planes equipped with either 1090 or 978 out. My status report in the lower right  part of my Dynon display sometimes briefly drops from ADSB OK to TIS OK or ADSB NO RADAR but that only seems to happen when the receiver is switching from one ADSB tower to another. The status display might switch back and forth a couple or three times in a few seconds but recovers stability nicely. I have not seen any traffic displays or warnings coming from my own plane.   I've challenged the new equipment/software rather hard by flying low around the Tucson area mountains and I think it is working as well as the ADSB system is capable of doing.  I'm happy with it.

IP Logged

Reply #204 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 7:24pm

dwightsmall   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

I installed the Flightaware filter too but still had some traffic drops so I removed the filter and installed the improved SV-472. I understand that the improved -472 has filtering and has improved sensitivity.  Along with the new firmware, 15.3.3, I now get excellent results.

IP Logged

Reply #205 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 10:54am

rvator51   Offline
D10/D100 Flight Tester
Autopilot Tester
Peoria, AZ

Hi Dwight,

How did you get your hands on a new and improved 472?  I am hearing months before they will be available to swap out original 472 units.

IP Logged

Reply #206 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 6:27pm

Steve W.   Offline
Expert

I honestly don't care if it turns out to be months, as long as I get on a list and eventually get one.  I'm fine waiting (and actually dread crawling back in the aft area to swap it out Smiley).

I've flown for over 20 years before ADS-B in, I can wait a few more months for an improved version.  My Mark I Eyeballs still work just fine.

IP Logged

Reply #207 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 10:22pm

TurboPilot   Offline
La Quinta, CA

I loaded the new software, running original 472 (with firmware update) and FlightAware filter. So far I don't see any difference.

So it is entirely possible those of us running an old 472 with new firmware and a FlightAware filter will not see any difference with a new 472 if the only change in the hardware is better filtering.

What ever happens my ADSB IN functionality appears to be performing nominally now.

2014 Carbon Cub ELSA on Beringer ALG, Skyview HDX, 2 axis autopilot, EMS, ADAHRS, 2020 GPS, 472, 2020 ADSB
IP Logged

Reply #208 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 6:35am

N214ST   Offline

Again, just a word of caution regarding the FlightAware filter.  There are at least two reports suggesting that the filter may (may, not necessarily does) squelch the 978 signal to the extent it is not processed through the 472.  Remember, a by-pass filter passes specific frequencies and blocks any others.  Understandably, those experiencing extreme 472 malfunctions that went to the filter did so with good cause.  However, once Dynon institutes their fix, and if individuals keep the filter, they may not be getting full function of the 472 (no 978), even though the 1090 input is fine.  The only way to tell is by bench testing or structured air-to-air testing.  It would be nice for Dynon to fully test the filter in their system and provide some feedback.

IP Logged

Reply #209 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 4:42pm

GalinHdz   Offline
KSGJ/KBQN

TurboPilot wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 10:22pm:
I loaded the new software, running original 472 (with firmware update) and FlightAware filter. So far I don't see any difference.

So it is entirely possible those of us running an old 472 with new firmware and a FlightAware filter will not see any difference with a new 472 if the only change in the hardware is better filtering.

What ever happens my ADSB IN functionality appears to be performing nominally now.

I upgraded my SkyView display and -472 firmware yesterday. Today I did two 1hr flights and the "old" -472 with the upgraded firmware worked significantly better. I had no drop outs but didn't have anything to compare the data against so I don't know if I was displaying all the available ADS-B traffic.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N819PR/history/20180317/1500Z/KSGJ/KGIF

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N819PR/history/20180317/1900Z/KGIF/KSGJ

FWIW: "old" -472, updated firmware with an installed FlightAware filter.

Cool
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2018 at 4:43pm by GalinHdz »  

N819PR
IP Logged

Reply #210 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 1:56pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

N214ST wrote on Mar 17th, 2018 at 6:35am:
Again, just a word of caution regarding the FlightAware filter.  There are at least two reports suggesting that the filter may (may, not necessarily does) squelch the 978 signal to the extent it is not processed through the 472.  Remember, a by-pass filter passes specific frequencies and blocks any others.  Understandably, those experiencing extreme 472 malfunctions that went to the filter did so with good cause.  However, once Dynon institutes their fix, and if individuals keep the filter, they may not be getting full function of the 472 (no 978), even though the 1090 input is fine.  The only way to tell is by bench testing or structured air-to-air testing.  It would be nice for Dynon to fully test the filter in their system and provide some feedback.

The filter is actually broad enough (in actual performance) to cover both the 978Mhz and 1090Mhz bands. In actual practice, it helps real-world performance on 978Mhz more than on 1090Mhz. The new hardware has improved sensitivity, which means you'll see both traffic and weather from airplanes and towers further out. The although the original hardware + filter + new software will see some improvements, it will only get you so much. For some of you, it may actually work well, but ultimately, you deserve better, and so we'll be swapping them all out (yes, it will take some time) for the newer hardware that gets you the performance you deserve.

Please do not use Private Messaging on form to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Reply #211 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 1:59pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

GalinHdz wrote on Mar 14th, 2018 at 7:55pm:
So how do we go about getting our "old" -472 replaced/upgraded to a "new" -472 unit? Do we have to contact DYNON or will DYNON contact us?

Huh

Production is limited for now. We know about all of you that have traded-in your original -470s, as well as folks that bought -472s directly from us. We'll be in touch if you're in one of those categories. If you bought a -472 elsewhere, hang tight. We'll have info available soon on a trade-in program for everyone. Thanks for your patience!

IP Logged

Reply #212 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 9:38pm

Alexe   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

I had a chance to fly twice today with the NEW -472 and the 15.3.3 firmware. First, let me say there has been a great improvement in stability. Targets were displayed consistently and reliably.

The only issue I noticed was that on four or five occasions, target aircraft were displayed twice on the display. In each case the vector arrows were slightly different in length, but were pretty much overlayed on top of one another. After a short while, the double display cleared up in each of the observed cases. Could this be some sort of artifact of the new “coast” feature?

IP Logged

Reply #213 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:17pm

Steve W.   Offline
Expert

Alexe wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 9:38pm:
I had a chance to fly twice today with the NEW -472 and the 15.3.3 firmware. First, let me say there has been a great improvement in stability. Targets were displayed consistently and reliably.

The only issue I noticed was that on four or five occasions, target aircraft were displayed twice on the display. In each case the vector arrows were slightly different in length, but were pretty much overlayed on top of one another. After a short while, the double display cleared up in each of the observed cases. Could this be some sort of artifact of the new “coast” feature?

I've seen that before, with the older software, so perhaps not.

As an aside, flying this weekend, I got a traffic alert on what appeared to be an aircraft waaaaay away from me (10 miles or so) that displayed as having a HUGE velocity vector which crossed my immediate path.  As in, the  plane would have to doing Mach something or other! Smiley  It was only there for a second or three, then displayed correctly (and no more alert).  Got my attention Smiley

If it ever happens again, I'll try to bag a screen grab...

IP Logged

Reply #214 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 9:03am

Tyler Pattison   Offline
Dynon Employee
0x44 0x59 0x4e 0x4f 0x4e

Alexe wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 9:38pm:
The only issue I noticed was that on four or five occasions, target aircraft were displayed twice on the display.

Alexe,
We refer to this phenomenon as 'ghosting'. The most frequent cause of ghosting is marginal radar or ADS-B ground station coverage. It unlikely that it is related to the traffic coasting feature.

IP Logged

Reply #215 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:57am

Alexe   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

Thanks Tyler. It’s just odd that I have never observed this “ghosting” of other aircraft before when running the old -472 (and -470) and pre 15.3.3 firmware. Don’t get me wrong, I can live with it. I just thought I would share my experience with the new hardware and software.

IP Logged

Reply #216 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 2:53pm

Jrskygod   Offline
I love flying!

I flew with the new ADSB 472 and 15.3 today and the difference was remarkable. It appears that Dynon finally got it right. Today was a typical traffic day and I have never seen so many targets with no drop outs before.

Those of you that are waiting be patient - it will be worth it.

IP Logged

Reply #217 - May 22nd, 2018 at 12:47pm

caummisar   Offline
kama

Tyler Pattison wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 12:12pm:
BlueCH750 wrote on Mar 1st, 2018 at 1:20pm:
will the form factor be the same as the current original 472 box and connectors?

Yes, all 472's use identical mechanical features and wiring.

If its going to be a while before I get a replacement 472 for my 470, does Dynon have a dummy 472 box I can get so I can move ahead with my build?  I have to change or re-build the antenna cable and dSub connector and it would be nice to have a box to mount and connect to while waiting....even a returned early 472 would help.
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2018 at 12:50pm by caummisar »  
IP Logged

Reply #218 - May 22nd, 2018 at 1:11pm

RayInGA   Offline
Expert
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

caummisar wrote on May 22nd, 2018 at 12:47pm:
If its going to be a while before I get a replacement 472 for my 470, does Dynon have a dummy 472 box I can get so I can move ahead with my build?  I have to change or re-build the antenna cable and dSub connector and it would be nice to have a box to mount and connect to while waiting....even a returned early 472 would help.

The connection to the 470 is the same as the 472, based on prior Dynon responses to the question. Only the mount holes will change. The mount hole pattern is shown in the installation manual, page 1404 of the AD revision.
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2018 at 1:18pm by RayInGA »  

Ray Eaker
RV-7A flying since 27 Jan 2017
Dual Skyview 1000T with all available Dynon VFR goodies
IP Logged

Reply #219 - May 22nd, 2018 at 5:45pm

caummisar   Offline
kama

RayInGA wrote on May 22nd, 2018 at 1:11pm:

The connection to the 470 is the same as the 472, based on prior Dynon responses to the question. Only the mount holes will change. The mount hole pattern is shown in the installation manual, page 1404 of the AD revision.

Sorry to differ, but the 470 dSub and antenna connection are on one side and the 472 has those connections on two different sides.  Envision this.  Hold the 470 with the dSub and the antenna in the down orientation.  In the same orientation, the 472 connections would be: dSub to the left and and the antenna connection to the right.
Also, the 470 "box" dimensions are approximately 7" x 4.5" x 1.1" in outside dimensions.  The 472 is is approximately 2.79" x 4.10" x .97" in outside dimensions.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2018 at 5:54pm by caummisar »  
IP Logged

Reply #220 - May 23rd, 2018 at 4:55am

Steve W.   Offline
Expert

caummisar wrote on May 22nd, 2018 at 5:45pm:

Sorry to differ, but the 470 dSub and antenna connection are on one side and the 472 has those connections on two different sides.  Envision this.  Hold the 470 with the dSub and the antenna in the down orientation.  In the same orientation, the 472 connections would be: dSub to the left and and the antenna connection to the right.
Also, the 470 "box" dimensions are approximately 7" x 4.5" x 1.1" in outside dimensions.  The 472 is is approximately 2.79" x 4.10" x .97" in outside dimensions.

Thanks

This is hardly a catastrophe.  Unless you didn't make your harness with any service loop, I guess.

IP Logged

Reply #221 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 6:19am

Northernliving   Offline
I love flying!

I’m using a Dynon Skyview touch with a 262 transponder and the 472 ADS-B.  Traffic and weather seems fine.  I use Seattle Avionics FlyQ EFB on my iPad.  Traffic and weather work fine on the Skyview.  When connected my i[ad to the Skyview via wifi I get GPS and ADS-B Traffic data fine, but NO weather at ALL.  I’ve been back and forth with Seattle Avionics, and the can’t see to find the problem, so thought I would check to see if others are having a similar issue?

IP Logged

Reply #222 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 11:01am

caummisar   Offline
kama

Steve W. wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 4:55am:
caummisar wrote on May 22nd, 2018 at 5:45pm:

Thanks

This is hardly a catastrophe.  Unless you didn't make your harness with any service loop, I guess.

Not a catastrophe, just a convenience.  I have not riveted the skin over the instruments yet and its much easier to get the ADSB box now.  Don't want to lay on my back to re-install....

IP Logged

Reply #223 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 8:23am

GregW   Offline
Frequent Poster

I've installed the ADSB and GPS and Xponder in my 14 yr old RV7.  Have had Dual Skyviews for quite a while working before I decided to upgrade.  Kept my old GPS 250 as a backup.  Got it all wired and found that I do not have power to either of the GPS antenna inputs (Orange wire).  I thought I had mis-identified the color since the orange coming out of the Skyview looks kind of brown, but I found the real brown wire and the GOS wire indeed looks orange next to it.  Ideas.?  Greg

IP Logged

Reply #224 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 8:34am

GregW   Offline
Frequent Poster

If I can't get power out of the orange wire of the Skyview, anything wrong with just supplying them 12 power off the avionics buss ?  I would rather not....    Greg

IP Logged

Reply #225 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 9:02am

Garrett   Offline
I love flying!
Tampa Fl

Make sure the orange wire pin 29 is pushed all the way in position. Also checked power input on pin 1,20,21,22. Hope that helps.

IP Logged

Reply #226 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 5:33am

Tom G   Offline
Frequent Poster
RV9-A, O-320, Dual Dynon
Skyview, ADSB
Doylestown, Pa

Just another Pirep on the 472 replacement. Did an hour cross country flight this past weekend and did not have any drop outs which I had with the previous unit. I did have a few ghosting events that indicated traffic right at my altitude and location but disappeared in 5 seconds or so. They really get your attention and first reaction is to look around just to be sure. From what I can tell, the ghosting seems to appear when I initially got picked up by ATC radar.

Nice Job Dynon on getting this right.  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #227 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 8:40am

Carl   Offline
Frequent Poster
Smoke me a kipper. I'll
be back for breakfast!
UK

FYI UK Pilots.

I've just fitted a SV-ADSB-472 in my Europa with a standard transponder monopole antenna and flown within the range of the TIS-B and FIS-B test transmission down near Goodwood. It's looking good (see pic)!

IP Logged

Reply #228 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 2:56pm

phudes   Offline
I love flying!

I am new to this board. I just tried to order an ADSB 472 and was told that the item is not available.

IP Logged

Reply #229 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 5:44pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

They're available but are backordered at times as we get back up to speed after having an outage for a while over the last year (the product had a problem that we needed to solve with some engineering - it created a backlog). I think we may not have reactivated it on our online store. Give our sales team a call at 425-402-0433 to chat with them about availability.

IP Logged

Reply #230 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 10:37am

tboyett   Offline
I love flying!

Northernliving wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 6:19am:
I’m using a Dynon Skyview touch with a 262 transponder and the 472 ADS-B.  Traffic and weather seems fine.  I use Seattle Avionics FlyQ EFB on my iPad.  Traffic and weather work fine on the Skyview.  When connected my i[ad to the Skyview via wifi I get GPS and ADS-B Traffic data fine, but NO weather at ALL.  I’ve been back and forth with Seattle Avionics, and the can’t see to find the problem, so thought I would check to see if others are having a similar issue?

Very same issue here.  Were you ever able to resolve?  So far the only thing I was told to try was to put the iPad into airplane mode but it made no difference.  Flyq is still sourcing the ADSB weather from the internet.

Thanks,
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #231 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 6:50am

RayInGA   Offline
Expert
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

Flew yesterday for the first time with the 472. Traffic and weather were showing on Foreflight but traffic was not consistently displayed on either. Some planes were nearby at less than 5000' difference and would show sporadically.

It was nice to finally see everything in Foreflight but hoping for further improvements to traffic display. It was much more consistent with the 470. I wonder if it is related to direct reception of 1090 MHz and having a bottom mounted IN antenna.

Ray Eaker
RV-7A flying since 27 Jan 2017
Dual Skyview 1000T with all available Dynon VFR goodies
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print