Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DME quality (Read 673 times)
Dec 8th, 2017 at 5:30pm

SkyviewFan   Offline
I love flying!

This isn't a rehash of Certified IFR navigation with Skyview, but I have a question about "GPS in lieu of DME". (originally approved 1998)

Since the new GPS2020 is documented to meet the position accuracy (0.05nm) and integrity needed for ADS-B, it seems better than the accuracy specified for DME or the original enroute IFR GPSs (TSO-129).  And if the monthly fix database comes from the FAA...

Any chance the Skyview virtual DME using GPS-2020 could become approved for use specifically for "GPS in lieu of DME" supplemental info??

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 8:52am

RayInGA   Offline
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

I did some interweb searching...

Here is a link to an old article on the topic. I doubt much has changed since 1998. As with other IFR regulations, it is as much or more about the database than the equipment.

https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/advocacy-briefs/air-traffic-services-brief-use-of-...

Another newer article...
http://simfliteminnesota.blogspot.com/2007/10/substituting-gps-for-dme-and-adf.h...

Ray Eaker
RV-7A flying since 27 Jan 2017
Dual Skyview 1000T with all available Dynon VFR goodies
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 7:11pm

SkyviewFan   Offline
I love flying!

Thanks.  I'd seen the AOPA article and couldn't find anything else from them since.

The AC and TSO-129 have been replaced in the last 20 years while GPS equipment and software definitely gotten better. 

With an SL-30, no DME and not enough $ for a GNS, I'm looking for possibilities to enable us to fly some VOR/DME approaches such as at S21 with equipment already installed.  AC20-138 vs TSO-145?

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 9:03pm

GregW   Offline
Frequent Poster

I have been thinking about operating with the same assumption.  After all, I can legally use VOR and ILS direction information displayed on Skyview when sourced from my SL-30, so it makes sense to file /A when using Skyview to supply distance information sent from the approved position source, GPS 2020.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print