Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Dynon Avionics, Inc.

Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1090MHz Filter for ADSB 472 Issues? (Read 3606 times)
Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:27pm

TurboPilot   Offline
La Quinta, CA

Much too early to declare victory but I just installed a FlightAware 1090MHz Mode S Filter on the antenna lead of my ADSB 472.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010GBQXK8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UT...

Made one long flight in and out of coverage. There is absolutely no doubt my ADSB 472 is working better than before. I immediately noticed on the ground I was receiving a signal from a nearby tower much sooner and held that signal taxiing around. The traffic returns in and out of coverage were solid with very few drop outs. I flew it watching the output of an ADSB Scout on my iPhone using FlightAware. ADSB 472 pulled in traffic and weather sooner and kept it on the screen better compared with the Scout.

I know Dynon says there are software issues too but after this flight with the filter my, ADSB 472 seems to be working "normally".

Again one flight is not a test program but it only costs $14.95, so it is worth a try.

2014 Carbon Cub ELSA on Beringer ALG, Skyview HDX, 2 axis autopilot, EMS, ADAHRS, 2020 GPS, 472, 2020 ADSB
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 4:53pm

Garrett   Offline
I love flying!
Tampa Fl

I just ordered one  Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 5:18pm

TurboPilot   Offline
La Quinta, CA

Garrett wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 4:53pm:

You will need these SMA to BNC adapters to patch into the antenna cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017SOLCMU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UT...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CVQJRUA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UT...

2014 Carbon Cub ELSA on Beringer ALG, Skyview HDX, 2 axis autopilot, EMS, ADAHRS, 2020 GPS, 472, 2020 ADSB
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 6:37pm

Garrett   Offline
I love flying!
Tampa Fl

Thanks, I was noticing this last week while looking for a new ADS-B antenna and was thinking about it myself. You made my mind up. Thanks

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 7:26pm

Steve W.   Offline
Expert

TurboPilot wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 5:18pm:
Garrett wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 4:53pm:

You will need these SMA to BNC adapters to patch into the antenna cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017SOLCMU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UT...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CVQJRUA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UT...

If it's not a huge pain, I'd make a new coax w/ RG400 and a crimped-on SMA connector.  You can get 'em lots of places.

I don't care for adapters if I can avoid them...

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 7:29pm

jakej   Offline
Expert
Australia

As an FYI - those filters are not the total answer for us 'downunder' so I'd suggest people from here do not shell out the bucks until either Dynon chimes in or the stated software fix ? is done.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 7:44pm

TurboPilot   Offline
La Quinta, CA

jakej wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 7:29pm:
As an FYI - those filters are not the total answer for us 'downunder' so I'd suggest people from here do not shell out the bucks until either Dynon chimes in or the stated software fix ? is done.

At this point I am happy with a better answer if not the total answer. As I said after two flights today there is no doubt my 472 is working better. Certainly worth $14 till something better comes along.

My Carbon Cub seems to have a fair amount of RFI among the boxes, so I may be a special case where filtering helps.

The big difference I noticed today was the persistence of traffic targets using 1090 plane to plane. Since installing the 472 those targets tended to come and go. Today they seemed to be solid continuous targets.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:14pm

Garrett   Offline
I love flying!
Tampa Fl

In reading the customer reviews on Amazon the filter seems to help in areas of high cell tower congestion. This seems to correlate with what I am experiencing with the 472.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:31pm

TurboPilot   Offline
La Quinta, CA

Garrett wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:14pm:
In reading the customer reviews on Amazon the filter seems to help in areas of high cell tower congestion. This seems to correlate with what I am experiencing with the 472.

Saw that. Since cell phones are barking the same frequencies, I wonder. My cell phone in my pocket is less than two feet from the ADSB antenna on the belly of the airplane.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 7:32am

Garrett   Offline
I love flying!
Tampa Fl

The original 470 great, maybe it had a better designed tuning circuitry.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 1:19pm

Steve W.   Offline
Expert

TurboPilot wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:31pm:
Garrett wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:14pm:

Saw that. Since cell phones are barking the same frequencies, I wonder. My cell phone in my pocket is less than two feet from the ADSB antenna on the belly of the airplane.

Would be an easy test...just turn it off.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 3:27pm

Garrett   Offline
I love flying!
Tampa Fl

Received the filter from Amazon this morning and installed. After takeoff the 472 started receiving the same time the Garmin 696/GDL39 showed receiving and stayed in receiving until I landed. The filter fixed this issue. I maneuvered about 10 miles south of KVDF for 15 minutes. Although the 472 always showed receiving the ADS-B message was toggling between Full ADS-B, Partial ADS-B and TIS only. Traffic on the screen was lost 1 time during a turn, overall traffic seemed to work better for the area I was flying in. I like the filter. Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 3:56pm

TurboPilot   Offline
La Quinta, CA

Good. Got a call from Dynon. They wanted my diagnostic file for the flights with the filter which I sent. You may want to send your files as well with the filter.

Did some hangar flying today. Since I have worked on the unit so much in the hangar I was familiar with it's previous signal reception behavior before the filter.

Before the filter I would typically see the ADSB receiving for short periods but never enough to download a full round of weather. ADSB plane to plane targets would show up and quickly disappear line of sight out the open hangar door.

Today with the filter and sitting in the hangar with door open it downloaded a full round of weather immediately. Traffic going by in the pattern was showing up very well line of sight out the door with very little drop out.

Here is a screen shot "flying" in the hangar.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:37pm

Alexe   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

It’s somewhat interesting that even though the status shows “ADS-B NO RADAR” in the capture above, two of the four targets do not show tail numbers. Were they UAT boxes in ‘STEALTH’ mode or ??????? Seems a bit strange to me.
Alex

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 7:19pm

TurboPilot   Offline
La Quinta, CA

Alexe wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:37pm:
It’s somewhat interesting that even though the status shows “ADS-B NO RADAR” in the capture above, two of the four targets do not show tail numbers. Were they UAT boxes in ‘STEALTH’ mode or ??????? Seems a bit strange to me.
Alex

I have seen this before when flying Scout ADSB through ForeFlight. Same target on the Dynon had no tail number while the same aircraft displayed on ForeFlight had a tail number.

Could be some of the software issues with the 472.

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 8:31pm

dwightsmall   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

I ordered mine tonight.  Hope the band-pass filter is the solution.  Can't wait to install and will report results.  I think the 470/472 problem has been particularly bad here in the Tucson metro area.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 6:22am

GalinHdz   Offline
KSGJ/KBQN

dwightsmall wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 8:31pm:
I ordered mine tonight.  Hope the band-pass filter is the solution.  Can't wait to install and will report results.  I think the 470/472 problem has been particularly bad here in the Tucson metro area.

I also ordered mine today but more out of curiosity. I love to experiment and this looks like an interesting one.

Cool
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2018 at 6:22am by GalinHdz »  

N819PR
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:52am

N214ST   Offline

I just wanted to suggest a bit of caution on the filter.  I had read a couple of reports that suggested the filter may significantly attenuate the 978 MHz signal in some cases.  That means one could be back to a single frequency ADS-B with no plane-to-plane 978 signal.  You may see improvement in detecting traffic during normal radar coverage, but you may be losing the concept of dual frequency without even knowing it. I also read that unless you are in an area with significant external interference, it may not be that useful as it will also attenuate the 1090 MHz signal a bit just as all filters do. The best solution would be an actual fix of the 472.  Dynon should really take a technical in-depth look at the use of the filter as it may be useful in some locations even after a 472 fix.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 8:04am

TurboPilot   Offline
La Quinta, CA

N214ST wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:52am:
I just wanted to suggest a bit of caution on the filter. 

Caution? This is really not too complicated. Put the filter on and compare your results to a known portable ADSB source. If you don't have one find a friend who does.

In my case I put the filter on and flew it against the Scout running on ForeFlight. In all of my flights so far, the filter equipped 472 out performed the Scout. This was not the case before the filter.

The filter may not work for everyone and may not be the 100% solution for a fully functional 472 ADSB, but in my aircraft things are better. Your results could be different. Why should we be "Cautious"?

The "documentation" on Amazon says it passes the range 980MHz - 1150MHz. Based on what I am seeing it looks the cut off is not that clean letting 978 through. Just a guess.
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:06am by TurboPilot »  

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:29am

N214ST   Offline

TurboPilot - just stating that it is not as simple as "working or not working" in a strategic sense, and that it "is" complicated.  It may be a short-term fix in your case, but it may not be the right solution for everyone.  Again, based on some empirical testing reports I have read, there may be some future downside to using the filter.  If I were in your position and based on your results, I would also use the filter, but in stating caution, I meant we all shouldn't necessarily go out and buy one without understanding potential consequences.  Not faulting you decision at all.  But for example, let's say you are not in an area with significant interference and are experiencing the same 472 issues we all are seeing.  Maybe useful, but intermittent functionality like my system.  Let us again say Dynon comes out with a fix, but a number of people leave the filter installed, but there really  is an issue with an attenuated 980 signal.  At that point, you may be back to a single frequency ADS-B without even knowing.  Just saying in general, quick fixes may have unintended consequences and some caution is always a good thing.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:31am by N214ST »  
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:52am

Garrett   Offline
I love flying!
Tampa Fl

I think TurboPilot came across the root of problem.(Period) Dynon can work out the details now. There is nothing wrong with filtering out unneeded frequency's and it is logical that the other ADS-B products on Amazon offer the filter or have it built in.  Cool

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:53am

krw5927   Offline
I love flying!

Since they can't fix the problem, Dynon needs to enable industry standard GDL90 receive capability over RS232 on the Skyviews, so we can use another known working ADSB receiver.

Their wholly-owned subsidiary Advanced Flight Systems already does this.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 11:18am

GalinHdz   Offline
KSGJ/KBQN

krw5927 wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:53am:
Since they can't fix the problem, Dynon needs to enable industry standard GDL90 receive capability over RS232 on the Skyviews, so we can use another known working ADSB receiver.

Their wholly-owned subsidiary Advanced Flight Systems already does this.

Or "partner" with Seattle Avionics and receive ADS-B IN data via WIFI from the MERLIN receiver.

Cool

N819PR
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 5:26pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

A few comments: A filter like the one that TurboPilot installed does seem to help with some of the issues that people have experienced, especially around weather reception, but it may not improve the issues around traffic that some of you have reported (although it may for others). Driving this to root cause has been a bit like peeling an onion, where each layer reveals that there's more to peel back. We're hesitant to get into the nitty gritty details, because (1) it's very technical and (2) we're working with external partners on engineering a solution.

There have been multiple times that we thought we were close to "the solution", and then ran into a new issue that forced us to peel back another layer. That said, we're definitely looking into other ways, including some of the suggestions in this thread, as additional mitigations.

Please do not use Private Messaging on form to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 5:55pm

TurboPilot   Offline
La Quinta, CA

Dynon Avionics wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 5:26pm:
A few comments: A filter like the one that TurboPilot installed does seem to help with some of the issues that people have experienced, especially around weather reception, but it may not improve the issues around traffic that some of you have reported (although it may for others).

I have made a few more flights and an extended period of watching the screen with the aircraft in the hangar.

"Hangar flying" the aircraft there is absolutely no doubt the 472 with the filter is working better than the 472 without the filter. The 472 with the filter has better reception than my old 470 in the same situation for weather and traffic.

I continue to fly the aircraft with the Scout playing through ForeFlight on an iPhone X. Comparing the 472 to the Scout may be a low bar for comparison but it is a benchmark. Since beginning these tests I have not seen a situation where I was getting less performance from the 472 compared to the Scout. The majority of the time the 472 acquires weather and traffic faster than the Scout.

Of interest, there appears to be a bug with the iPhone X running Foreflight and the Scout. Periodically all traffic disappears with the Scout still connected. Killing the ForeFlight app then restarting it restores the traffic immediately.

So bottom line, so far applying the filter has not impacted any functionality and has definitely improved performance in my aircraft.
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2018 at 5:56pm by TurboPilot »  

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 2:11pm

dlloyd   Offline
Charlotte, NC

With the 470 receiver I have always experienced traffic dropping off and reappearing.  I thought that was just the nature of things until people began similar complaints with the 472 receiver. I asked Dynon a couple times but was told no one had complained about the 470.  A few posts back someone mentioned a cell phone.  I always forget to turn mine off.  Antenna is with 3' of my pocket with the phone.  Today I flew a short trip with my phone off.  Any displayed traffic was steady, I never saw any unexpected drop.  Correlation?
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2018 at 6:54am by dlloyd »  
IP Logged

Reply #26 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 3:59am

jakej   Offline
Expert
Australia

dlloyd,

From my experience it is most likely related.  I know my cell phone affects my autopilot (other brand) & the type of USB charger has an impact too.
Why not ry turning your phone off for a few flights & note the difference in systems performance, if any ?  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 5:57am

rleffler   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

I'm curious about the cell phone interference.  For those experiencing issues, how far away is your phone from your 472 and antenna?

I flew for the first time this weekend with a 472 and experienced similar issues and I had my cell phone on.  Both my 472 and antenna are about 8' away from the phone.

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 2:18pm

TurboPilot   Offline
La Quinta, CA

rleffler wrote on Jan 22nd, 2018 at 5:57am:
I'm curious about the cell phone interference.  For those experiencing issues, how far away is your phone from your 472 and antenna?

I flew for the first time this weekend with a 472 and experienced similar issues and I had my cell phone on.  Both my 472 and antenna are about 8' away from the phone.

Cell phone interference sounds like a reasonable issue, so I did a little experiment. Dialed an ASOS on my iPhone X and placed the iPhone directly on top of my Stratus 2 which was actively connected to an ADSB station and left it there a few minutes. Result - no impact. Stratus continued to receive weather and local traffic.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2018 at 2:21pm by TurboPilot »  

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 2:34pm

Steve W.   Offline
Expert

TurboPilot wrote on Jan 22nd, 2018 at 2:18pm:
rleffler wrote on Jan 22nd, 2018 at 5:57am:

Cell phone interference sounds like a reasonable issue, so I did a little experiment. Dialed an ASOS on my iPhone X and placed the iPhone directly on top of my Stratus 2 which was actively connected to an ADSB station and left it there a few minutes. Result - no impact. Stratus continued to receive weather and local traffic.

I'm not sure what that proved about anything other than THAT Stratus and THAT phone.  It certainly didn't prove anything about the 472 under discussion here...?

IP Logged

Reply #30 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 5:44pm

Alexe   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

Just another data point.....
I’m a ADSB 472 customer that has always flown with their cell phone on in the cockpit. Today, I took a ride with the cell phone turned off to see if it made a difference. It did NOT. I encountered the same frequent dropouts as before.
Alex

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 7:28pm

TurboPilot   Offline
La Quinta, CA

Interesting feature in ForeFlight with the Scout. You can turn on ADSB ground stations for display and monitor signal strength from the station.

Continue to fly with the filter. Traffic target performance much better.

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 10:18am

Bob Bogash   Offline
I love flying!

Can you filter the output to get rid of the UAL at FL300?

Bob Bogash

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 1:17pm

TurboPilot   Offline
La Quinta, CA

Bob Bogash wrote on Jan 25th, 2018 at 10:18am:
Can you filter the output to get rid of the UAL at FL300?

Bob Bogash

Yes, under "Settings/Traffic" you can "Hide Distant Traffic"

As I fly the Scout against the 472 I like to watch all the traffic and see how the 472 acquires new traffic just coming into range while painted by the Scout outside the 472 window. So far the Scout and 472 seem to be seeing the same traffic at the edge of the 472 cut off parameters.

IP Logged

Reply #34 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 1:37pm

dwightsmall   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

I have now completed 3 flights totaling about 2 1/2 hours using the band-pass filter.  I have the -472 dual band receiver.  I am experiencing fewer problems, i.e., dropped traffic, but it still happens. Today my display was showing, "ADSB NO RADAR" but was showing 3 targets with N-numbers. Suddenly the display went to "TIS OK" and all 3 targets simultaneously disappeared.  After about 30-45 seconds the Skyview went to "ADSB OK" and all targets immediately re-appeared.  Later I was following another airplane known to have 1090 out with a dual band receiver and his target disappeared for a few seconds and that happened two or three times.  I was 8 miles behind this airplane and should have been displaying him directly on the 1090 airplane-to-airplane 1090 frequency. That airplane showed my target solidly with no interruptions.

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 3:14pm

GalinHdz   Offline
KSGJ/KBQN

I just installed the filter in my airplane and will see how it performs in tomorrows IFR flight to Tampa, FL.

Cool

N819PR
IP Logged

Reply #36 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 3:28pm

N1354J   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

I also ordered the filter, installed it today and did some flying.  In a nut shell it was not as good as the direct connection, I had more drop outs with the Dynon 472 and the filter and they lasted much longer. 

I did the testing at 3500' MSL north of ATL.  I used a Garmin GLD39 and Garmin Pilot as a reference.  My ADSB antenna is located on the belly behind the luggage area.  The transponder is also located on the belly front right corner right behind the firewall.

Even though I have dropouts without the filter, they are few and generally re-display quickly, so not as bad as others have reported.

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 9:03pm

GalinHdz   Offline
KSGJ/KBQN

Flew with mine on a 1.5hr flight today and at least to me it seems I had less drop outs than before. But again my Stratux on FltPlanGo display was much more stable with no drop outs. I will do it again next week for comparison.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N819PR/history/20180126/1700Z/KSGJ/KMCF

Cool
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2018 at 9:06pm by GalinHdz »  

N819PR
IP Logged

Reply #38 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 2:10pm

N1354J   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

Attached is my diagnostic file David DeLong requested of my flight using the FlightAware Filter.  The filter was installed starting at 14:30 EST.

IP Logged

Reply #39 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 6:07am

rleffler   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

My data from a statistical perspective isn't significant.

Two flights with just the 472 showed erratic behavior and dropouts in a metro area with multiple towers in the vicinity.

Two flights with the filter, erratic behavior gone and no drop outs noticed.

Granted this isn't enough to declare any victory, but it does appear to help.  AFS logs from all flights sent to Dynon.

IP Logged

Reply #40 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 7:31pm

GalinHdz   Offline
KSGJ/KBQN

FWIW I did another 1.5hr flight and at least to me I had the same results as before. Once again my Stratux on FltPlanGo display was much more stable with no drop outs. There were several times the Stratux was showing traffic while the DYNON with the filter did not.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N819PR/history/20180130/1530Z/KMCF/KSGJ

Undecided

N819PR
IP Logged

Reply #41 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 12:38pm

TurboPilot   Offline
La Quinta, CA

Just an update. Sorry the filter does not seem to work for everyone but so far I am delighted.

My airport traffic pattern is below ADSB station coverage so I have been most concerned with reliable aircraft to aircraft coverage. Been flying the local area finding ADSB out airplanes and following them around outside of ADSB coverage. I now have stable returns on traffic when before the filter the targets would come and go.

Don't really know what normal operation of the 472 should look like but right now it is working as well as I could expect with the filter.

When in coverage of an ADSB station my weather continues to update better (based on looking at NexRad status).

IP Logged

Reply #42 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 6:30pm

Garrett   Offline
I love flying!
Tampa Fl

During a flight today I went into menu mode on Skyview and noticed that the number of ADS-B ground stations the 472 was seeing was the same as the GDL-39 was and have the filter installed on the 472. I think it makes a big difference for my setup.

IP Logged

Reply #43 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 8:45pm

woxofswa   Offline

I flew a Mexico trip in December with the 472 and the latest updates and never got air to air traffic on that trip.  I installed the filter and am now in Mexico with a group and have had traffic the way it should be and that I never had down here before.
That filter might just be the cheapest solution to a problem that I’ve ever had on an airplane.

IP Logged

Reply #44 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 3:29pm

woxofswa   Offline

Another point of reference that may or may not be useful.  On my December trip at 8500 feet I connected with the first US ground station at about 65 miles south of Nogales.
On this recent trip, with the filter, same route, same altitude, I had solid connection at 103 miles.   Could be a fluke, but I’m pretty sure that the filter made a difference.
It was wonderful seeing traffic in Mexico as most of the areas we go do not have radar coverage except near Hermosillo.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print