Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Dynon Avionics, Inc.

Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wiring up OAT probe to EDC-D10A (Read 521 times)
Jan 16th, 2018 at 11:00pm

Robski   Offline
Hang on! I've got an idea!

Hi - just thought I would pass on a 'gotcha'!

I was helping out a chum wiring up a 3 wire OAT probe to his D10A via the EDC remote compass.
I followed the wiring diagram in the otherwise excellent installation manual. It didn't work - it was reading 35C on a rather chilly day. Checked everything was OK - must be a duff sender. Got it changed - exactly the same!

My chum then went for a wander around the further reaches of the Dynon website and found this:
https://www.dynonavionics.com/includes/guides/EFIS-D10_OAT_Installation_Guide_Re...
which he printed out and brough down the airfield.

This contradicts the wiring in the installation manual as regards the blue wire's connection!
The manual says stick it in pin 8 (which we did!).
The revision says connect it to the same pin as the ground from the D10A - i.e. pin 1 - together with the OAT wire's shield!
Did this. Now it works fine!

HOWEVER - the pdf in the link above has a (word ascribed) title of OBSOLETE - DO NOT USE!  Shocked

So which is it to be?

I'm confused.

Rob Swain
Software Developer (Retired)
Shropshire, UK
Van's RV-6

If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 7:02pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

So the document you're pointing to is for the EFIS-D10 and EDC-D10, not the EFIS-D10A and the EDC-D10A. Although very similarly named, they're different products. Now, for the EFIS-D10A / EDC-D10A - early manuals did indeed require that the ground to the common ground line on pin 1. But, somewhere along the way, we realized that pin 8 was also ground, and we hadn't documented it. So pin 8 should be a valid ground connection on the EDC-D10A connector. There's a small chance that early EDC-D10As didn't have this circuitry, but I'd have to do more research to figure that out. How new or old of an EFIS-D10A is this?

Please do not use Private Messaging on form to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 1:36am

Robski   Offline
Hang on! I've got an idea!

Sorry for the delay in getting back on this.

Firstly - Oops and apologies from me and my chum for getting the 10 and 10A mixed up! Embarrassed

Secondly - the D10A installation in question is an older one and the EDC-D10A was bought at the same time as the EFIS-D10A.

I took a backup of the D10A before we did an update to permit my chum to install a pitch servo as his firmware was too old. This backup filename includes the element sn5893.
Does that help you pin down the age?

I will try and check for continuity between pin 8 and ground when the unit is next exposed (it hides under the canard of a Vari-eze) but as everything now works it's unlikely to be soon.
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2018 at 1:41am by Robski »  

Rob Swain
Software Developer (Retired)
Shropshire, UK
Van's RV-6

If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print