Dynon Avionics, Inc.

Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dual band antenna (Read 630 times)
Feb 3rd, 2018 at 11:01pm

woxofswa   Offline

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.
I originally installed the 470 single channel adsb with a simple blade antenna that was recommended.
I was an early adopter of the first generation 472.
I didnít lose anything by switching but I donít think I gained anything either.  My goal is to get air to air reception because I frequently go to rural Mexico with a group of aircraft.  My last trip down, those who had adsb could see me, but I still couldnít see them more than 30 miles south of the border.

My question is, is there a difference in antenna required for dualband reception? I never upgraded the antenna because I donít recall it ever being recommended.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 7:43am

dwightsmall   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

I was also one of the early adopters of the -472.† After installing that I still dropped traffic so I installed a 978 specific antenna.† I don't think I gained anything by doing that but don't believe that I lost anything either. Because I didn't gain anything I went back to the recommended 1090 blade antenna.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2018 at 7:45am by dwightsmall »  
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:11am

RayInGA   Offline
Expert
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

woxofswa wrote on Feb 3rd, 2018 at 11:01pm:
My question is, is there a difference in antenna required for dualband reception? I never upgraded the antenna because I donít recall it ever being recommended.†

Dynon has suggested in other threads that a standard transponder antenna will work just fine for ADS-B in (or out). I am still running the 470 with the TED antenna from ACS and have good results - though no other IN source with which to compare.

Ray Eaker
RV-7A flying since 27 Jan 2017
Dual Skyview 1000T with all available Dynon VFR goodies
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:52pm

rleffler   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

I donít believe that there is a difference for dual band use.

I had a Delta POP Aviation ADSB antenna when I originally installed a Navworx box with UAT out.† †The same antenna is working just fine with the 472.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:31am by rleffler »  
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 5:44pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

Although there are two bands being received there, and the wavelengths are technically different, they're also really close. Our engineers tell me that it would be hard to measure the effect of using a 978 MHz tuned antenna vs a 1090 Mhz one. That said, if you're asking which one to buy, the 978 ones would have a very slight advantage, as the strength of their signals from the ground stations are weaker than those you'll receive on the 1090 side. But again, it's a REALLY REALLY small effect.

Please do not use Private Messaging on form to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print