Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Dynon Avionics, Inc.

Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kavlico Fuel Pressure Sensor Failure (Read 247 times)
Feb 7th, 2018 at 10:52am

Beersrus   Offline

On a recent flight, as I rolled onto the runway and lined up, I flipped on my electric boost pump.  Almost immediately, the Skyview system gave audio warning of "fuel pressure" which gets your attention.  Looking down the value was bouncing around from 45-60+ psi (fuel injected IO-360 with Airflow Performance pump to a Bendix injection system).  With the boost pump turned off, the value dropped back to the normal 33-35psi.  After discussion with Airflow Performance, they suggested connecting a mechanical gage into the system near the sensor.  Sure enough, the mechanical gage reads fine (33-35psi, then adds a few psi when the boost pump is on) while the Skyview reading was all over the place, much higher. 

So I have a bad sensor, but this failure mode is confusing, since the sensor appears to operate normally without the boost pump...

Has anyone seen this sort of failure before.  My attempts at a search did not work (pilot error, no doubt).

Thanks

Russ

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 6:03pm

jakej   Offline
Expert
Australia

A simple thing to do is slide off the purple silicone Ďsealí from the 3 pin connector at the sensor, then try the test again - it may not fix the issue but is a simple/cheap option thatís worth a try.† The only other option I can suggest, given the tests already done, is to try another sensor.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2018 at 6:04pm by jakej »  
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 4:34pm

Beersrus   Offline

I was slightly confused by your post (no reflection on you) until the replacement sensor arrived.† My original sensor bought about 2010, look like the one in the photo.† It has provisions for only one wire to attach on the terminal, and the instructions say to simply run a ground wire under the Adel clamp to ground the body of the sensor.†

The new sensor is about 1/2 the size of the old one and has 3 wires.† So apparently I had a VDO-style sensor...

Russ

Fuel_P_gage.JPG (88 KB | 10 )
Fuel_P_gage.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 5:38pm

jakej   Offline
Expert
Australia

Sorry, your subject heading was for Kavlico Feul Pressure Sensor Failure so I gave input based on that - the symptoms you have/had are typical of the VDO (thatís the one in the photo) units & thatís one of the reasons why Dynon donít sell the VDO ones anymore.
That picture - hopefully the plastic line setup was being used for ground testing only ? Wink† which Glasair model do you have ?
Ps - Iíd also mount the unit up higher above the system connection point.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2018 at 5:44pm by jakej »  
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 7:14pm

Beersrus   Offline

Sorry for the misleading title.  I thought it was a Kavlico model...

Yes the plastic line was simply for a ground test run to see if a mechanical gage would read "normal" pressures while the sender gave the high readings.  Just wanted to eliminate the pressure relief valve in the boost pump as a possible culprit.

The plane is a Glasair Sportsman 2+2 built in my basement using my exclusive 402 Weeks To Taxi program!

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 9:47pm

jakej   Offline
Expert
Australia

All good† Smiley. Just buy the correct Kavlico unit, you can use the same sensor wire however if you have the MAP sensor on the engine side of firewall then Iíd splice into the 5 volt (red& white) & ground wires for the others needed ie youíll have 3 wires going to the new Kavlico sensor.† Donít forget to change the sensor type etc in the EMS menu† Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2018 at 9:47pm by jakej »  
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 3:08pm

Beersrus   Offline

All set.† My MP sensor is on the other side of the engine, but the red/white 5v wire for that sensor comes through the firewall above the fuel pressure sensor, so it was just a matter of splicing into the line and adding a length of red/white wire.† Updating the sensor type was easy as well.† I love the rather easy interface that Dynon has created.

Engine run on the ground completed over the weekend and everything works perfectly!

Thanks for the help.

I wonder if my VDO style oil pressure gage might be next to fail.† That one will get my attention even more!!

Russ

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 5:17pm

jakej   Offline
Expert
Australia

Oil press sensor - It could fail but they donít seem to have the same failure rate as the VDO fuel pressure ones from my experience, Iíve never had to replace one.  If it bothers you then Iíd replace it to using the same wiring method etc.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print