Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Dynon Avionics, Inc.

Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!

Note: While we are at Airventure Oshkosh 2018, Dynon Staff will be mostly unavailable on these forums. Email support at dynonavionics dot com or call 425-402-04333 for personalized support from our awesome staff.

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
D100/AP74 problems (Read 364 times)
Mar 26th, 2018 at 1:10pm

Rivieraaero   Offline
I love flying!

Hi everyone,
Iím not sure if this is the right place to try solve this problem as Iíve sent 3 messages to tech support without any reply.
I have a 2007 P92 Tecnam with a D100 coupled to a AP 74 which has not had any updates due to it working perfectly up until now.
Problem, Iíll trim the aircraft to fly straight and level, engage the autopilot, set it to Nav and Alt Hold, it will track a straight line but will not hold altitude, the trim warning comes on saying trim up and it goes into a steady gentle climb, even if I dial up a lower altitude and trim down it just keeps climbing.
It behaves the same if I use Track and Alt.
This is a hire aircraft and it is possible that someone has had a fiddle in the AP setup menu.
Does anyone know how to fix this problem ?
Cheers Martin

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 1:24pm

RayInGA   Offline
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

Martin,

Check to see if your pitch servo shear pin has broken. If it has, the AP will not be able to properly control your altitude.

Ray Eaker
RV-7A flying since 27 Jan 2017
Dual Skyview 1000T with all available Dynon VFR goodies
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 1:45pm

Don Jones   Offline
Frequent Poster
Dynon Employee

Rivieraaero wrote on Mar 26th, 2018 at 1:10pm:
Hi everyone,
Iím not sure if this is the right place to try solve this problem as Iíve sent 3 messages to tech support without any reply.
I have a 2007 P92 Tecnam with a D100 coupled to a AP 74 which has not had any updates due to it working perfectly up until now.
Problem, Iíll trim the aircraft to fly straight and level, engage the autopilot, set it to Nav and Alt Hold, it will track a straight line but will not hold altitude, the trim warning comes on saying trim up and it goes into a steady gentle climb, even if I dial up a lower altitude and trim down it just keeps climbing.
It behaves the same if I use Track and Alt.
This is a hire aircraft and it is possible that someone has had a fiddle in the AP setup menu.
Does anyone know how to fix this problem ?
Cheers Martin

Martin,
I apologize for not getting back sooner, I haven't found the messages you refer too, perhaps they are hung up in cyberspace.† The fastest way to get a replacement shear screw (which definitely sounds like it could be the problem) is by going to dynonavionics.com/shearscrew†
Fill out the form and we will ship you a replacement asap.
If you would like to do further diagnostics give me a call at 425-402-0433 and I would be happy to talk you through it.
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2018 at 2:22pm by Don Jones »  

Don Jones
Technical Support Manager
Dynon Avionics
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 6:26pm

Rivieraaero   Offline
I love flying!

Hi Don, thanks for the quick reply.
I donít think that it is the shear pin as when Iím flying the servo appears to be engaging and I can feel the resistance on the controls and I can feel when the servo clutch suddenly release when I apply a small amount of force and I can also feel the difference in the clutch slippage when I adjust the torque settings from 0 to 100
At the moment Iím in the aircraft, stationary on the ground, when I turn on the autopilot,  the trim indicator shows it needs up trim and the control stick is moving to full back elevator , even if I dial the AP altitude to a lower altitude itís still shows it needs up trim and the servo is moving the elevator to full back stick.
Hope this observation helps
Martin.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 5:20pm

Don Jones   Offline
Frequent Poster
Dynon Employee

Rivieraaero wrote on Mar 26th, 2018 at 6:26pm:
Hi Don, thanks for the quick reply.
I donít think that it is the shear pin as when Iím flying the servo appears to be engaging and I can feel the resistance on the controls and I can feel when the servo clutch suddenly release when I apply a small amount of force and I can also feel the difference in the clutch slippage when I adjust the torque settings from 0 to 100
At the moment Iím in the aircraft, stationary on the ground, when I turn on the autopilot,† the trim indicator shows it needs up trim and the control stick is moving to full back elevator , even if I dial the AP altitude to a lower altitude itís still shows it needs up trim and the servo is moving the elevator to full back stick.
Hope this observation helps
Martin.

Martin,
I would suggest you give us a call when you are at the airplane and let us talk you through a couple of things.  Call me at 425-402-0433

Don Jones
Technical Support Manager
Dynon Avionics
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 5:21pm

David Brown   Offline

Do a AP calibration just in case someone has filed with it.

You can have a broken screw and it still grips enough to give you a feeling of it not being broken.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 3:00am

Rivieraaero   Offline
I love flying!

I have done the calibration a couple of times and pulled the servo arm off checking the shearscrew, all appears ok.
Iím thinking it might be a software problem

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print