Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Dynon Avionics, Inc.

Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SV-472 to GTN/IFD units (Read 562 times)
Apr 15th, 2018 at 11:41pm

David Brown   Offline

Has anyone tested or tried a SV-472 serial output connected to a serial input on a GTN for traffic? Is the data format compatible?

Could be useful......  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 5:56am

rleffler   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

I don't believe any third party ADSB devices will display on the GTN line.  Garmin made the GTN inputs Garmin proprietary.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 2:51pm

David Brown   Offline

rleffler wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 5:56am:
I don't believe any third party ADSB devices will display on the GTN line. Garmin made the GTN inputs Garmin proprietary.

Not quite, they do accept serial third party devices.

I just realised though, thinking about it more, the 472 has serial out, but it will not include your altitude and heading, so no it can't be paralleled to the Skyview. Sky view processes it to traffic relative to you.

If there was a way to pump it out your could send this to your IFD/GTN or whatever.

Nice thought for a while....   Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 5:31am

rleffler   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

David Brown wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 2:51pm:
I don't believe any third party ADSB devices will display on the GTN line. Garmin made the GTN inputs Garmin proprietary.

I just realised though, thinking about it more, the 472 has serial out, but it will not include your altitude and heading, so no it can't be paralleled to the Skyview. Sky view processes it to traffic relative to you.

If there was a way to pump it out your could send this to your IFD/GTN or whatever.

Nice thought for a while.... Cheesy

Please name one. 

But the real question is why?  The screen is too darn small to be useful.  I prefer seeing the traffic on my EFIS.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 11:52am

krw5927   Offline
I love flying!

Dynon's ADSB-470 and -472 transmit a proprietary (it doesn't appear that anyone has managed to decode it yet) data format.  Different data structure, different bit rate, etc.  You can feed it to a GTN all day, but the GTN won't have a clue what to make of the ones and zeros.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 5:11am

David Brown   Offline

rleffler wrote on Apr 17th, 2018 at 5:31am:
David Brown wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 2:51pm:

Nice thought for a while.... Cheesy

Please name one.

But the real question is why? The screen is too darn small to be useful. I prefer seeing the traffic on my EFIS.

I was referring to "other traffic devices" not just ADSB In receivers, such as the RYAN units via a serial in.

In any case it appears not.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print