Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Dynon Avionics, Inc.

Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Added: CO Guardian support (Read 543 times)
Apr 18th, 2018 at 6:09am

Maarten Versteeg   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

Hello,
The latest edition (version AD) of the installation guide lists in the changes section that support was added for the CO Guardian monitor. I looked through the whole manual but couldn't find anything, neither terms CO (monitor), Guardian are mentioned anywhere in the installation manual. I like the idea of an CO monitor integrated with the Dynon product, but I am very curious what the support actually means in this case. Did anyone find some other explanation what this statement actually means?
Looking at the Guardian product line I could find a model 353N-201 that provides an 0-5 Volt analog output that can be used by an EFIS (e.g. Dynon), but that doesn't seen an adaptation that Dynon added. I would provide a continuous monitoring capability as long as one of the analog channels is available. That model also has a serial rs-232 interface but it doesn't document what this interface is generating, in any case serial interfaces being at premium doesn't seem an way to connect to the Dynon (my setup already uses all five (GPS, transponder, ADSB, COM2 and ELT).

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 10:35am

RayInGA   Offline
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

Being that it is listed under "Updated EMS Sensor Configuration file:," it would point to one of the EMS inputs being used to trigger a warning on the EFIS.

The Guardian site says it supports and external annunciator light, which the install drawing shows as 12 volt from the 2 amp CB (LED or similar). With that information, you should be able to set up a general purpose input and use the test feature of the CO detector to confirm proper operation.

You could have the annunciator light and use the spare relay output for the EFIS signal.

Ray Eaker
RV-7A flying since 27 Jan 2017
Dual Skyview 1000T with all available Dynon VFR goodies
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 11:12am

Steve W.   Offline
Expert

I'd sure like to see a more complete interface solution for a remote CO detector than just a simple on-off indication.  If the Guardian box has serial comm, then it seems a perfectly natural implementation to figure out (with Guardian's engineers) how to hook it up so as to display actual PPM values for CO on a widget.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 6:18pm

Maarten Versteeg   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

Steve,
But the model 353N-201 has, besides the alarm relay and the rs232 connection, two analog outputs so as long as you have analog channels on the Skyview you can already display the percentage CO and the temperature, besides the alarm condition. It is just the rs232 that remains a mystery. The skyview woudl easily be able to check for a %CO limit, it jsut can't directly take the exposure duration into account, except for some delay in an alarm response,
- Maarten

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 3:07pm

Amuhs   Offline
Frequent Poster

I have purchased and installed a Guardian 353D.  This is the new part number for the one that is compatible with Dynon. the old number was 353N.

I talked to the Guardian Engineer he believes that the Dynon software was modified some time last year so that you could define the 353D CO detector.  I went through all of the EMS input sensor possibilities  but could not find a way to add it so that I  can read the CO PPM. I can add a contact input that shows Safe or High.

I did not do anything with the serial inputs.

Is there going to be a software change that allows adding a CO input that displays CO PPM?

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 4:37pm

Steve W.   Offline
Expert

Sure would like to have this capability (Dynon to CO detector via serial line, ability to display actual PPM and alarms...not just a relay alarm).

Seems like it'd be a simple thing to add, once you have the output data stream format from Guardian.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 5:39pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

If you have the latest software and the latest engine sensor definition file, you can hook up the CO Guardians that have an analog output (the Sport does, for example) to any of the four enhanced GP input. On those inputs, select pressure for type, and then you'll see it on the list.
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2018 at 5:42pm by Dynon Avionics »  

Please do not use Private Messaging on form to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 8:23pm

Amuhs   Offline
Frequent Poster

I did as suggested in the previous post from Dynon and it worked.

On my skyview D37 connector I used pin 22.

I was told by Guardian to range it from 0 to 1000 PPM.

I set the normal level from 0 to 49 PPM. From 50 to 99 PPM I have it show yellow on the Dynon display which should correspond to the amber warning light on the 353. From 100 to 1000 PPM I have it show red which should correspond the red warning light on the 353.

When I push the test button on the 353 the displayed PPM increases enough so that the display turns red and I get an audible alarm in my headset.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print