Dynon Avionics, Inc.

Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
EGT readings (Read 449 times)
May 1st, 2018 at 8:19am

lfussell   Offline

Last year I replaced all of my EGT probes after an engine swap. Last week I got a red X on the #3 EGT. In a runup, yesterday #3 was substantially below the other temps. per the attached photo. any suggestions would be appreciated.
Regards,
Larry

20180430_103238.jpg (4630 KB | 19 )
20180430_103238.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 1st, 2018 at 10:43am

rvator51   Offline
D10/D100 Flight Tester
Autopilot Tester
Peoria, AZ

Previous posters have reported success with re-crimping or replacing the crimp connectors on the EGT probes or the probe may have went bad.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2018 at 4:18am

David Brown   Offline

Buy yourself about 30 OLC-1 joiners from Aircraft Spruce and use them Wink

IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2018 at 2:14pm

RayInGA   Offline
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

If replacing the connectors doesn't solve the issue, you should look at a fuel/air mixture issue. The CHT on that cylinder is also a bit lower than the others...

Ray Eaker
RV-7A flying since 27 Jan 2017
Dual Skyview 1000T with all available Dynon VFR goodies
IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2018 at 6:16pm

mmarien   Offline
Expert
Murray M.
Saskatoon SK CAN

My friend had an engine monitor installed in his C185. When the temps acted up he would find that the set screw for the OLC-1 connectors had come loose. Go figure. When I bought some better quality EGT probes a few years ago they came with the OLC-1 connectors. I didn't use them. I crimped on hardware store blade connectors and haven't had any problems. I do have a ratchet type crimper. I think a good quality crimper is the secret to good connections. Your experience may vary.

Glasair II FT - o320 - P-Mags - EFII - MTV 3 Blade CS - VP-X - Single 10" Skyview - Stratux Dual Band - zooooom ...
IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2018 at 5:43pm

jakej   Offline
Expert
Australia

Like Marien I use the AMP brand blade (spade) connectors with no issues now that I also use a spray product eg Inox on them & a good quality crimper.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2018 at 4:07am

David Brown   Offline

mmarien wrote on May 3rd, 2018 at 6:16pm:
My friend had an engine monitor installed in his C185. When the temps acted up he would find that the set screw for the OLC-1 connectors had come loose. Go figure. When I bought some better quality EGT probes a few years ago they came with the OLC-1 connectors. I didn't use them. I crimped on hardware store blade connectors and haven't had any problems. I do have a ratchet type crimper. I think a good quality crimper is the secret to good connections. Your experience may vary.

Yep, just like blades, they can all become loose. They all need doing up tight, be they crimped or OLC-1.

In the OLC-1 you only have one connection to be tight, not two. And you can nip them up with an allen key. Blades can be the blade or the crimp.

As you have noted a good crimp really helps and a good crimper, as Jake uses and obviously you and I do helps.

Vibration is a thing.....balancing the prop affects many things. These too.

YMMV but the OLC-1 is not inferior despite your experience, and it may be superior on averages, provided it is done up correct.

There is no perfect answer, but if it is blade or OLC, do it right!

BTW many of us in this part of the world have had way more problems with crimps and they all bug me for a handful of OLC's.

You can read into that anything.

Wink

IP Logged

Reply #7 - May 7th, 2018 at 2:41pm

mmarien   Offline
Expert
Murray M.
Saskatoon SK CAN

David Brown wrote on May 7th, 2018 at 4:07am:
YMMV but the OLC-1 is not inferior despite your experience, and it may be superior on averages, provided it is done up correct.

David - I didn't say the OLC-1 connectors were inferior. I said they came loose. My spade (I stand corrected on the name) connectors haven't come loose in the last 500 hours but now that you bring it up, I'll keep an eye on them. Wink

Glasair II FT - o320 - P-Mags - EFII - MTV 3 Blade CS - VP-X - Single 10" Skyview - Stratux Dual Band - zooooom ...
IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 8th, 2018 at 12:25am

jakej   Offline
Expert
Australia

If you’re using the AMP brand I’ll guarantee they won’t go loose, actually they are very hard to take apart without breaking the wire - so I usually use tools to do the job of taking them apart if/when needed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print