Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bearing Pointers (Read 1214 times)
May 8th, 2018 at 11:03am

dlloyd   Offline
Locust, NC

Why was the color of the bearing pointers and source changed from yellow and orange to both being blue?  It was simple to match Nav 1 or Nav 2 with the pointer, now not so.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 9th, 2018 at 5:08pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

The short answer is certification. Almost all of the FAA's suggestions (and a few requirements) made the product better, but this is one that addressed a concern (yellow and orange hues should be used for abnormal or other well-defined situations) that had a bit of an associated drawback.

Please do not use Private Messaging on form to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2018 at 6:28am

airguy   Offline
SkyView Flight Tester
Gods Country - west Texas

Dynon Avionics wrote on May 9th, 2018 at 5:08pm:
The short answer is certification. Almost all of the FAA's suggestions (and a few requirements) made the product better, but this is one that addressed a concern (yellow and orange hues should be used for abnormal or other well-defined situations) that had a bit of an associated drawback.

"Hi. We're from the FAA and we're here to help."

IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2018 at 2:18pm

dlloyd   Offline
Locust, NC

Would it be possible to make Nav 2 appear different from 1.  Dots instead of solid line?  Heavier line, double?
Heck, I might be the only customer that ever tunes in a VOR.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 10th, 2018 at 5:26pm

jakej   Offline
Expert
Australia

I had asked the same question- having 2 pointers exactly the same colour can be also confusing despite 1 with a single arrow head & the other a dual arrowhead, would white work ?
Green for Nav would align it with other makes of Nav receivers too, it’s called standardisation 😉

IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2018 at 12:20pm

Skysailor   Offline

Could it be made so the pointer colors are user selectable? My pointers are still orange and yellow. I guess I have to refrain from updating software to keep them. I understand their concern but frankly I never confuse RMI needles for warnings. Having both needles the same color is a big step backwards.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 14th, 2018 at 4:56pm

dlloyd   Offline
Locust, NC

Doh! Pointers are already different with single and dual arrowheads. Shown also in the source description.  Still, different colors would be easier to spot.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2018 at 5:45am

Skysailor   Offline

Another issue with blue pointers is they wash out if you are overflying water and Synthetic Vision is enabled.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print