Dynon Avionics, Inc.

Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sounds from skyview (Read 960 times)
May 9th, 2018 at 5:27pm

Richard Fazio   Offline

I have a SV1000, dual radios, an iPad and a phone connection all into an audio panel. Almost always after I take off and climbing out I hear a musical tone in my headset. I never knew where it was coming from. Iím using ForeFlight and do get voice from that, approaching a runway, for example. The other day I went up for a local flight with no iPad. I still got this musical tone. So now I know itís not coming from the iPad. Itís got to be the Skyview. Itís a dum, dum, dum, in lowering notes three or for notes long. Itís a joke between me a my buddy, trying to figure it what it is. Anyone have any ideas? Is something in Skyvlew telling me Iím reaching an altitude or something?

Richard Fazio
RV-6, Skyview 10"
AP, ADS-B, Xponder
IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 10th, 2018 at 6:27am

airguy   Offline
SkyView Flight Tester
Gods Country - west Texas

I would strongly suspect the phone is giving you some type of alert - try a flight without it, or in airplane mode.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2018 at 11:37am

Richard Fazio   Offline

Airguy,† thanks, but Iíve got the phone Bluetooth off and Iím still getting the tones. My friend and I are laughing about it now. Trying to figure where itís coming from. I wish I could post the sounds, it would be a lot easier than trying to discribe it.
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2018 at 11:41am by Richard Fazio »  

Richard Fazio
RV-6, Skyview 10"
AP, ADS-B, Xponder
IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2018 at 12:29pm

RayInGA   Offline
Expert
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

Might your audio panel be sending in a VOR Morse code identifier?
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2018 at 12:29pm by RayInGA »  

Ray Eaker
RV-7A flying since 27 Jan 2017
Dual Skyview 1000T with all available Dynon VFR goodies
IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 10th, 2018 at 2:51pm

Richard Fazio   Offline

Hmmm, the audio panel has two vorís connected to it. A Garmin 430 and a Val 2000. I can get vor identifiers but they sound nothing like the tones Iím getting. Itís a musical kind of thing. Some kind of thing like ď Ok you are connected ď or something like that.

Richard Fazio
RV-6, Skyview 10"
AP, ADS-B, Xponder
IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 10th, 2018 at 5:30pm

jakej   Offline
Expert
Australia

Try turning off each unit one at a time eg iPad, phone, nav 1, Nav 2 & then Dynon audio - youíll work it out 😉

IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2018 at 5:44pm

Richard Fazio   Offline

Iíve tried with both the iPad and phone off. Itís not a VOR sound. Itís kind of like when you plug a USB thingy into a PC and it plays that little melody.

Richard Fazio
RV-6, Skyview 10"
AP, ADS-B, Xponder
IP Logged

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2018 at 6:19pm

rkorff   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!
Gold Hill, NC

Not by chance getting a few tones from the AOA, are you?

IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2018 at 6:54pm

Bomar   Offline
I love flying!

Are you wearing a headset with Bluetooth capability ?  I suspect this tone might be generated by your headset to inform you that it was unable to connect to a previously paired device ... or something like that.

Try swapping your fancy, electronic noise cancelling headset with a cheap passive headset. I bet the musical tone goes away !

I love a good mystery ... let us know what you find !

IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 11th, 2018 at 3:13am

Richard Fazio   Offline

† †† Itís not AOA, Iíve got that working well and know what that sounds like. A beeping that gets faster and faster, not musical at all.

† †† †I donít have Bluetooth headsets. Only Bluetooth is two adapters into the audio panel. One is for the iPad and one for the phone. The phone I can shut off at the audio panel. The iPad is into an aux input that you canít switch off. But if I have no iPad in the cockpit it eliminates that, I think!

† †† †What started this was when I flew the other day with no iPad and by myself. Phone input is normally off. Iím climbing out after takeoff and ďmusicĒ again. What the heck!† †Where is this coming from.

Richard Fazio
RV-6, Skyview 10"
AP, ADS-B, Xponder
IP Logged

Reply #10 - May 16th, 2018 at 1:58pm

Steve W.   Offline
Expert

RayInGA wrote on May 10th, 2018 at 12:29pm:
Might your audio panel be sending in a VOR Morse code identifier?

I'd say don't just shut off the phone, but disconnect the Bluetooth adapters themselves.  And when you say "the iPad is into an aux input", do you mean the BT adapter which you use for your iPad is on the aux input? 

Anyway, that's what I'd do...perhaps the system is seeing the BT adapters and indicating power-on/identification of them (and it doesn't matter if something is Bluetooth-connected to them or not).

That'd be my next step.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - May 16th, 2018 at 3:54pm

Richard Fazio   Offline

Steve,†

† †† †Ok thatís pretty easy to do. The phone Bluetooth is disabled at the audio panel. That shuts off any sounds from the phone Bluetooth adapter. The iPad I have to physically unplug, also easy. Iíll try it.

† †† †I tend to doubt it,but you know how that goes. The iPad connects very fast. I usually get runway announments from foreflight as Iím taxiing out. I get this music climbing out, weird.

Richard Fazio
RV-6, Skyview 10"
AP, ADS-B, Xponder
IP Logged

Reply #12 - May 16th, 2018 at 5:15pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

For what it's worth, I can't think of a musical type sound that changes pitch that SkyView makes, so I don't think it's coming from SkyView.

Please do not use Private Messaging on form to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Reply #13 - May 17th, 2018 at 2:04am

Richard Fazio   Offline

Thanks Dynon, Iím flying tonight and Iíll do some testing.

Richard Fazio
RV-6, Skyview 10"
AP, ADS-B, Xponder
IP Logged

Reply #14 - May 17th, 2018 at 6:23am

jakej   Offline
Expert
Australia

Richard,
I have had something similar happen recently, it sounded like very faint music & I just dismissed it as a 'bleed through' from a local radio station - maybe there is more to it ?  I'll now be more aware of it & will report if i find anything.

IP Logged

Reply #15 - May 17th, 2018 at 6:28am

Garrett   Offline
I love flying!
Tampa Fl

Ground Loop?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print