Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Dynon Avionics, Inc.

Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Skyview Network Cable Testing Checklist? (Read 710 times)
May 15th, 2018 at 4:36pm

PhantomPholly   Offline
Expert

I know the Skyview network cable setup is very simple, but I bought a plane I did not build and have had two ADAHRS failures in the past couple of hours of flight.  Initial ADAHRS operated for over 15 hrs, but the airspeed was always erratic.  Returned that, new one failed at 2 hrs of operation.

Question:  Does anyone have a checklist of test steps to verify that the network cable is correctly configured so I can rule out the possibility that it was wired incorrectly?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 15th, 2018 at 6:04pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

SkyView Network cables are basically straight through connections on all 9 pins of the DB9 connector. So check that first. SkyView has the ability to notify you if there is something up with the data wiring, but you can check the network status page just to make sure nothing is going on there.

Please do not use Private Messaging on form to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2018 at 6:07pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

The only other thing that comes to mind is making sure that the servos - which get ship's power - aren't somehow injecting power into SkyView Network. I'm not sure whether or not that would actually BREAK things though (checking)

Please do not use Private Messaging on form to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2018 at 1:03pm

Steve W.   Offline
Expert

PhantomPholly wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 4:36pm:
I know the Skyview network cable setup is very simple, but I bought a plane I did not build and have had two ADAHRS failures in the past couple of hours of flight. Initial ADAHRS operated for over 15 hrs, but the airspeed was always erratic. Returned that, new one failed at 2 hrs of operation.

Question: Does anyone have a checklist of test steps to verify that the network cable is correctly configured so I can rule out the possibility that it was wired incorrectly?

This seems like pretty basic electonrics tech skills. If you have no experience doing any electrical work, might I suggest you get someone who has to show you?

Ringing out a harness is pretty straightforward...get the wiring diagram, check continuity, and ensure all the pins are properly seated and in the right locations. Not much more to it...
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2018 at 1:04pm by Steve W. »  
IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2018 at 5:46am

Bill Reister   Offline
I love flying!

Thanks everyone. Yes I do have experience with wiring - I've installed two complete panels including autopilots.

But I've also learned that sometimes being lazy is being smart - someone else may have made a mistake which may have led straight to the problem I'm facing. A bit of planning before checking is often indicated.

The servo suggestion sounds like the biggest threat here - I will check that. In fact, the Autopilot was engaged at the moment the ADAHRS failed in the second incident - although it operated flawlessly for over 15 hrs with the first ADAHRS.

At this point I don't have any solid information that there IS any problem with the wiring apart from the coincidence of two failures - so I'm really just trying to rule out the wiring as a possible cause before I plug another one in.

Really wish someone had invented a test widget which could simply be plugged in and look for a green light....   Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print