HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Switching to the HDX (Read 482 times)
May 30th, 2018 at 10:07am

Bruce P   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

I have been flying my RV-10 with dual Dynon screens for over two years and am very happy with it.  Currently am about ready to buy  a new Dynon for my new Rans S-20.  My plan is to buy new HDX screens and a complete system.  The HDX will go into the -10 and the Classic screens in the S-20.

The issue is the massive number of hard earned settings that are in the classic that need to go to the HDX and the reverse of removing them and putting in the correct ones for the Rans in the classic.  It would prevent the Rans stall warning from going off at 70 knots on the first flight!

I asked support if there is a single file or files that contain all the data, but they said yes and no, it is there but not in one file and well mixed with other things.

I would love to see Dynon produce a "menue tree" of both systems that lists the user entered or flight test settings under each part of that tree.  It would make a great appendix in the manual.   Then you could go thru the whole thing and write down what is there and put it into the new system.  Also you could clear out the old settings.

I realize that all the answers exists in the pages of the manual, all 1.5" of it, but it sure would make life easier to convert to the new system.

I would like to hear from others that have done similar.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 30th, 2018 at 1:18pm

RayInGA   Offline
Expert
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

I hope to upgrade some day, after getting to IFR capability. I assumed it was as easy as plugging one screen at a time into the plane, let it copy from the other screen, then repeat. There is a setting in the config that essentially tells the system that it is a new screen and it should copy from the other (don't recall exact details but it's in a thread here somewhere).

I know this works with the legacy SV-1000(T) but not sure when going up to the HDX.

Ray Eaker
RV-7A flying since 27 Jan 2017
Dual Skyview 1000T with all available Dynon VFR goodies
IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 30th, 2018 at 4:42pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

So you really shouldn't connect a non-HDX to an HDX to try to accomplish a settings transfer - there are some behaviors that are undefined. Our official stance is that they're not cross-compatible.

What I'd probably do is export your settings file and import it into your HDX. You might chop out all of the EMS display layout (and maybe pin mapping) settings sections, as there are some differences in the layouts in HDX and non-HDX displays. The EMS sections are pretty readily identifiable in large chunks even if you're not a computer nerd like we all are.

I don't think that there are other settings that would adversely affect an HDX display. Things that it does not use will be ignored.

« Last Edit: May 30th, 2018 at 4:42pm by Dynon Avionics »  

Please do not use Private Messaging on form to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2018 at 9:34am

Bruce P   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

I know you can't connect an older display with the HDX.
What I am talking about are the fuel level calibrations, stall calibration, aircraft specific speeds, aircraft identification,
autopilot settings that I have changed over time, radio setup like squelch, minor changes made to the standard EMS layout, the various engine times, the maintenance tracker, the weight and balance information and perhaps fifty other things.

I am not detailed enough to write down each change I make when I make it.

So what is in the settings file?

P.S, my order for the new stuff went in today.

Bruce
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2018 at 9:35am by Bruce P »  
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 4:57pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

Literally, every setting is in the settings file. Probably the best way to proceed will be to get in touch with our support team so that they can help you through the details.

Please do not use Private Messaging on form to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print