Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Dynon Avionics, Inc.

Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TRANSPONDER INTERMITTENT (Read 342 times)
Jun 4th, 2018 at 8:57am

MileHighDynon   Offline
Denver

I'm trying to figure out my transponder issues. Any basic info would be helpful, along with guesses on diagnostics.

I have a 2011 CTLS with twin Skyview PDFs. The transponder is hidden behind right PDF (All transponder controls are accessed through the PDFs).

Recently, the tower has been telling me that my transponder is intermittent. Sometimes, they see only my "target" with no altitude. At other times they see nothing.

If I recycle the transponder (by pulling breaker and re-setting it), transponder comes back online but eventually it fails again. The entire time, I'm getting no transponder error on the PDF. The display shows it is working (except when I pull the breaker).

The controller said it goes in an out, on downwind, then back on again in the base turn. They said it seemed like a "signal problem".

I checked antenna connection. It appears to be secure.   

What would make the transponder appear intermittently? While appearing "normal" on my PDF displays? Then coming back on when I recycle, only to fail again?
Undecided

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 1:41pm

RayInGA   Offline
Expert
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

I agree with the tower's guess. Your Dynon system sees the transponder but its output, which it doesn't see, is weak or intermittent. Look for a bad coax crimp or pin that isn't all the way seated in the BNC or TNC.

Also, disconnect both ends and check for continuity between the pin and connector shell. There should be none (OL).

« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2018 at 1:45pm by RayInGA »  

Ray Eaker
RV-7A flying since 27 Jan 2017
Dual Skyview 1000T with all available Dynon VFR goodies
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 5:12pm

jakej   Offline
Expert
Australia

FWIW - I’ve seen that happen with the TNC connector being screwed on, but not tight enough, at the Transponder end.
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2018 at 5:13pm by jakej »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print