Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Dynon Avionics, Inc.

Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flight Plan with Runway VNAV at the End (Read 716 times)
Jul 7th, 2018 at 4:03pm

Richard Fazio   Offline

I was able to setup my map / vertical speed required and other things required for VNAV to a runway. I am able to get the NAV and VNAV course displayed and also have the auto pilot follow it down to the set altitude above the runway. One thing I can't figure out, is how to have a flight plan with a few waypoints and then a runway at the ending airport. I can only add a direct to a particular runway and then it shows a short magenta line up from the runway on the map screen. How can I add that to the end of a flight plan? Can't seem to find it in the manual and going crazy trying to figure out how to do it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Richard

Richard Fazio
RV-6, Skyview 10"
AP, ADS-B, Xponder
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 12:04pm

reidvaitor   Offline
Expert
SoCal

Richard;
So I respond with the correct understanding of goal-You want to create a flight plan and have it include a point x miles away that aligns the plane to the VNAV approach to a runway with Skyview FPL (not a IFR GPS that has the instrument approach)?
I don't think this can be done without a WPT manually added that aligns to the runway.
  What I've done for airports that have a RNAV-
I add one of the points on the RNAV approach plate as a D-> and that will align the plane to runway.
If in the plane and just want to get aligned without knowing a waypoint, than I do as if without a RNAV- I get AWOS (so 20-30 miles out) and I do a 2 second D-> press to the runway (final airport) than set the CRS to the desired runway heading, intercept the line and land accordingly.
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2018 at 12:06pm by reidvaitor »  
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 3:29am

Richard Fazio   Offline

Reidvaitor,

Thanks for your responce. I was starting to thing that was the case. I read in the flight manual page 7-48 the following:

Vertical Navigation – Internal SkyView Flight Plan

When the SkyView Flight Plan includes at least one airport or a specific runway at an airport, the system can provide VFR vertical navigation to a defined point referenced to the last airport in the flight plant or to the designated runway threshold, including commanding the autopilot to fly a calculated descent path.

It makes it sound as though you can add a runway to the end of the flight plan, but it doesn't actually say that. I do have a 430W in the plane. I was just trying to figure out how to have the skyview do the VNAV, in a pinch, in case the 430 should crap out on me. I can do it, as you discribe, but it's just a little more involved.

Thanks

Richard Fazio
RV-6, Skyview 10"
AP, ADS-B, Xponder
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 8:23am

DHeal   Offline
I love flying!
Santa Rosa, CA

I have been using the two methods suggested above by Reidvator for awhile now in my SV RV-12.  It works but I wish that Dynon would extend the pink final runway course line a bit further out on the map so that it is easier to orient one's intercept position further out from the airport.

EAA #23982 -- EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor -- CFI-A&I
RV-12 E-LSA (SV w/ AP & ADS-B)   N124DH   Based at STS (Santa Rosa, CA)
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 11:19am

Richard Fazio   Offline

DHeal,

I think they bring it out as far as the skyview calculates it has to be for your altitude when you set it up? Then a 3 degree slope to the runway.

So if I understand you guys correctly you are setting up a FLP to get you to the airport and lined up with the runway. Then, once you are there, you select the runway and direct-to the runway. Your original FLP goes away and you VNAV down the glideslope. Am I saying it correctly?

Richard Fazio
RV-6, Skyview 10"
AP, ADS-B, Xponder
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 5:23pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

Right now it goes out a fixed distance. That could change in the future. It also cannot be added to a flight plan at the moment.  It's direct-to the runway only. Know that even though the magenta line only goes out some distance, you can still intercept the extended course further out than there.
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2018 at 5:23pm by Dynon Avionics »  

Please do not use Private Messaging on form to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 8:01am

reidvaitor   Offline
Expert
SoCal

dheal:
One of my methods a good 20 miles out is:
do a 2 second D-> press to the runway (final airport) than set the CRS to the desired runway heading, intercept the line and land accordingly.

for example, I am going into LAX and that is my final point I am currently flying direct to. When Im about 15-20 miles away from the airport and i know what runway is in use I hold the "D->" button for the 2 seconds that changes the direct to to CRS, I move the dial to match the final degrees for that runway and intercept- in my case 10 miles away that happens to be the first point of the RNAV approach, which the Dynon has labeled on the MAP; the magenta > on the side aligns the manually set 3 degree or whatever you set it to descent rate to keep me in a controlled descent, and the magenta line has me set to the runway. I set the final altitude to the runway threshold and (In visual conditions Wink ) I fly right into the runway.
In summary, that magenta line has always been more than far enough out for me, and truthfully I dont know how far out it goes, but I see no reason to be aligned to a runway much further than 15 miles away anyway.
VNAV on the autopilot, for those like me that took time to realize this, only works for expert mode and not Basic mode.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print