Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Dynon Avionics, Inc.

Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DataManager - Argggggghhh (Read 1189 times)
Jul 12th, 2018 at 3:37pm

Steve W.   Offline
Expert

I hate to beat a dead horse, but yet again, DataManager has crapped out, forcing a restart of the update...after it took hours to download 17,000 files before it hung up before all 19,000 were done.  And don't say "just leave a stick in and it'll run in the background".  People can't always do that (in this case, I've been overseas for a month travelling, so couldn't).

Good thing I didn't need to go flying today, as I wouldn't have a current chart set on board, thanks to SA.  Again.

Forgive my rant, but this is still one of the worst programs for large (sort of.  No, not really.) datasets I have run into in ages.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 6:42am

Tom G   Offline
Frequent Poster
RV9-A, O-320, Dual Dynon
Skyview, ADSB
Doylestown, Pa

Do you have the box checked to just update new items, this may help reduce the number of downloads v.s. starting from scratch each cycle. Agree, allot of data which requires a very good broadband connection. I have a dual dynon skyview setup and I typically put in both USB sticks and they alternate back and forth as they update. Typically takes about 20 minutes with a 50MB download connection. The software sometimes reports false updates, ie. green boxes, so I run the update more than once to confirm everything is complete. If you are downloading to your pc at the same time you are updating it does take more time.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 12:53pm

Steve W.   Offline
Expert

Yes, it's set to only download new items.  Nevertheless, it decided to download all 19,000 files.  That's fine, I was gone for a month, so figured a lengthy update.  However, it was when it *hung up* at 17,000 files, and no amount of coaxing could get it to continue (hung for about an hour).  Required a complete reboot of the computer (yes, I killed the process itself before trying a reboot). 

And don't get me started on the extremely un-standardized interface it uses for a Windows application...

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 6:16pm

Garrett   Offline
I love flying!
Tampa Fl

I wish it was compatible with my Mac. DataManager is the only reason I use a Windows machine.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 6:27am

airguy   Offline
SkyView Flight Tester
Gods Country - west Texas

And now this morning my system won't even recognize new charts at all - my datamanager refuses to see new data from SA and all my stuff is set to expire tomorrow.

Fabulous. Dynon, there just has to be a better way...

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 7:16am

airguy   Offline
SkyView Flight Tester

And now an update on this situation - I just uninstalled the data manager, deleted all the files and folders, rebooted, re-installed the data manager fresh from the SA website, and it's downloading data - all dated to expire tomorrow. No "next cycle" data available.

F'ing fabulous. Is SA run by our government by any chance? I thought they were the only ones that could hose up a situation this badly.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2018 at 7:16am by airguy »  
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 8:18am

Garrett   Offline
I love flying!
Tampa Fl

Thats were the data comes from. Sad

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 9:53am

RayInGA   Offline
Expert
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

Airguy,

You might also want to run chkdsk on your system to see if the hard drive is having issues at the OS level.

Open a CMD prompt in Admin mode
Type: CHKDSK C:   
Hit Enter
If the check fails anything, it will ask to run with /F (fix), which it can only do during a reboot on the C: drive.

Ray Eaker
RV-7A flying since 27 Jan 2017
Dual Skyview 1000T with all available Dynon VFR goodies
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 12:45pm

airguy   Offline
SkyView Flight Tester

RayInGA wrote on Jul 17th, 2018 at 9:53am:
Airguy,

You might also want to run chkdsk on your system to see if the hard drive is having issues at the OS level.

Open a CMD prompt in Admin mode
Type: CHKDSK C:
Hit Enter
If the check fails anything, it will ask to run with /F (fix), which it can only do during a reboot on the C: drive.

No, this was SA-induced. They did not have the data available for download. I just got an email from SA timestamped 2:35pm Central this afternoon that the data is now released for download.

It says they "discovered a problem".... yeah - I did too.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2018 at 12:46pm by airguy »  
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jul 18th, 2018 at 7:44am

RayInGA   Offline
Expert
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

Ugh! Reports like this are the reason I have not jumped on the SA bandwagon for data. Pulling data from a server is not rocket science. FTP has been around for decades and works very well.

Ray Eaker
RV-7A flying since 27 Jan 2017
Dual Skyview 1000T with all available Dynon VFR goodies
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2018 at 8:05am

Jrskygod   Offline
I love flying!

Yup as Airguy said newest data cycle was only available yesterday afternoon. Everybody (Dynon and Jepp) had it available several days ago. I called every day this week and the answer was the same - they're working on it should be available tomorrow. Too bad SA is all we have to work with. Dynon needs to get a clue and give us an alternative. I'm sure there is some monetary reason Dynon continues to mandate the use of SA.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jul 18th, 2018 at 8:53am

Steve W.   Offline
Expert

I don't understand why it always seems to want to (apparently) download ALL of the airport diagrams and approach plates...tens of thousands of them...despite the fact that I have selected "Only new or changed items" be downloaded.  It's like their indexing doesn't work right or something.

But I can sit there and watch it slowly crank through the download, counting off a few files at a time.

Agonizing, really.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jul 18th, 2018 at 12:59pm

Garrett   Offline
I love flying!
Tampa Fl

Your right Steve, it is not logical.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jul 18th, 2018 at 2:10pm

jabarr   Offline
Frequent Poster

Mine have been trying to download for 24 hours now-- looks to be about halfway there.  Something happened!  Same computer, same disc, nothing changed on my end.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jul 19th, 2018 at 5:37am

krw5927   Offline
I love flying!

Seattle Avionics is a joke (and not a funny one). After several rounds of failures on their part to deliver the data I paid for, I finally just let my subscription expire and haven't looked back.

They say you're judged by the company you keep. SA is a huge black eye on Dynon.
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2018 at 5:37am by krw5927 »  
IP Logged

Reply #15 - Jul 19th, 2018 at 9:16am

Steve W.   Offline
Expert

Make no mistake, I *love* the data, and it's a bargain for what we get.  But I *hate* the DataManager software, and I continue to think it should be completely re-architected and redone.  I don't know why SA continues to stick with this software, unless they just don't have the resources to redo it properly.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jul 19th, 2018 at 11:31am

airguy   Offline
SkyView Flight Tester

Steve W. wrote on Jul 19th, 2018 at 9:16am:
Make no mistake, I *love* the data, and it's a bargain for what we get. But I *hate* the DataManager software, and I continue to think it should be completely re-architected and redone. I don't know why SA continues to stick with this software, unless they just don't have the resources to redo it properly.

Ditto that sentiment here. I love the data - I hate the method.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print