Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
trim with ACM (Read 326 times)
Sep 3rd, 2018 at 6:39pm

Sglynn   Offline
Frequent Poster
I Love Flying
Seattle

What might be wrong with trim indicator?

I have HDX on a Quick Panel with the ACM and I'm configuring my trim motors on ACM.  I'm on Version 15.3.3.   The pitch trim works great and indicates smoothly on the screen.

But the aileron trim works, but the indicator jumps from full right to full left back and forth.  It doesn't move smoothly like the pitch trim indicator.  What might be wrong?  I'm hoping it is a setup, and not a bad wire.

thanks

Building RV-7A. 
Structure Done
Engine Installed.
Quick Panel in work.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 4:54pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

Did you do an end-to-end trim calibration on the aileron axis?

Please do not use Private Messaging on form to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 10:00pm

Sglynn   Offline
Frequent Poster
I Love Flying
Seattle

Mark
Well, assuming you mean Trim Motor #2 calibration with ACM so that it can couple to the autopilot, YES and it passed.  I did same things to both trim motors.

Motor moves fine and in the correct direction, although I did have to switch the two white wires to change its direction.

But I'm inclined to do this calibration again.  By the way, prior to calibration the little triangles on the trim axis did not show.  After calibration they appeared on both axis.

Or if you mean something else by your question, please clarify.

Also tonight I unplugged the trim motor and measured voltage.  5 Volts between wht/oragne= wht/blue.  And 5V Orange+Green.  But 0V between blue and orange.  Any clues here?  I have not yet dismantled big connector at ACM to check wiring.  That will be messy.  Your help is appreciated.

Building RV-7A. 
Structure Done
Engine Installed.
Quick Panel in work.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 3:08pm

David Brown   Offline

If it is the indicator that is jumping around you may have a faulty linear pot in the trim motor. Solution to that is buy a new one.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 3:13pm

Sglynn   Offline
Frequent Poster
I Love Flying
Seattle

David
Yes, that is plan B if the wiring and setup are correct.  I'm trying to determine if the wiring from the ACM is sending the right signals to the trim motor.   I may have messed up mapping a couple pins.  Shocking I know; But possible.

Building RV-7A. 
Structure Done
Engine Installed.
Quick Panel in work.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 7:48pm

GlennB   Offline
Frequent Poster

I had a similar problem with a recent install. The raw data from the trim servo stopped incrementing at about 3/4 travel, and the indicator was similarly erratic.

As David suggested, it was a faulty linear pot. Before giving up on the servo, it might be worth opening it up and squirting some contact cleaner into the pot. That worked for me.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 9:42am

Sglynn   Offline
Frequent Poster
I Love Flying
Seattle

Dynon Avionics wrote on Sep 4th, 2018 at 4:54pm:
Did you do an end-to-end trim calibration on the aileron axis?

FIXED,   After disassembling both connectors and testing them and testing the servo I final found the end to end Aileron trim calibration.  It is under SETUP>HARDWARE>EMS>Aileron Calibration.  Why I don't know because TRIM doesn't even connect to EMS.  It connects to ACM.  But after doing this calibration the indicator works great. 

Thanks Much

Building RV-7A. 
Structure Done
Engine Installed.
Quick Panel in work.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print