Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Making Skyview IFR (Read 146 times)
Sep 11th, 2018 at 1:19pm

gcream   Offline
I love flying!

Searched forums for how to make Skyview system IFR. No joy! This is my first foray into the IFR world. I would like to make the Glastar GS-1 IFR capable for my initial training. Would someone direct my efforts in the right direction please? Aircraft currently equipped with 10" touchscreen Skyview, 2 radios, ADSB, 2020GPS, Auotopilot, D10A, ARINC box, and ADHRS. Would like to know what additional equipment is required and suggestions on what works best. Thanks.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 4:58pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

So you have the fundamental equipment in place for a suitable IFR-capable panel. You have redundant displays and redundant sources of flight instrumentation (especially attitude). From here, you'll need a suitable IFR-capable navigator. These days, many people choose a GPS/NAV/COM such as the Avidyne IFD series. The other big brand will also work - we're certainly biased Wink

Please do not use Private Messaging on form to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 6:44am

airguy   Offline
SkyView Flight Tester
Gods Country - west Texas

Dynon Avionics wrote on Sep 11th, 2018 at 4:58pm:
So you have the fundamental equipment in place for a suitable IFR-capable panel. You have redundant displays and redundant sources of flight instrumentation (especially attitude). From here, you'll need a suitable IFR-capable navigator. These days, many people choose a GPS/NAV/COM such as the Avidyne IFD series. The other big brand will also work - we're certainly biased Wink

To expand just a bit on that - the IFR-certified navigator is required to be able to export HSI/GS information to the ARINC module, which will display it on the Skyview screen and allow the autopilot to couple with approaches from the certified navigator.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 7:18am

RayInGA   Offline
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

Some might say you can install something like an SL-30 nav/com and be legal to file and fly IFR, which is true, but you'll find that ILS approaches at small airports are difficult to find. They'll remain for major airports as a backup to GPS approaches.

Ray Eaker
RV-7A flying since 27 Jan 2017
Dual Skyview 1000T with all available Dynon VFR goodies
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 9:43am

wmince   Offline
Clearwater, FL

RayInGA wrote on Sep 12th, 2018 at 7:18am:
Some might say you can install something like an SL-30 nav/com and be legal to file and fly IFR, which is true, but you'll find that ILS approaches at small airports are difficult to find. They'll remain for major airports as a backup to GPS approaches.

For light GA, may just as well go with a certified GPS only navigator, like a Garmin GTN 625.
LPV, down to 200', vast array of GPS approaches and growing. What more do you really need?

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 7:05am

RayInGA   Offline
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

wmince wrote on Sep 12th, 2018 at 9:43am:
RayInGA wrote on Sep 12th, 2018 at 7:18am:

For light GA, may just as well go with a certified GPS only navigator, like a Garmin GTN 625.
LPV, down to 200', vast array of GPS approaches and growing. What more do you really need?

There are parts of the United States where the military does regular testing that takes out the GPS signals. The GTN-650 will still get you on the ground with its NAV radio, though you may need to search for an ILS approach.

I suspect the FAA, in those types of areas, will be more likely to keep VOR/ILS capabilities around.

Ray Eaker
RV-7A flying since 27 Jan 2017
Dual Skyview 1000T with all available Dynon VFR goodies
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print