Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Dynon Avionics, Inc.

Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Skyview & Garmin 430W nav problem. (Read 198 times)
Oct 29th, 2018 at 6:00am

Richard Fazio   Offline

I've been flying for a few years with the 430W & Skyview combo. Recently I'm getting a problem with selecting a VOR on the 430. I can't get any indication on the skyview's HSI. GPS works perfectly and strangely if I select an ILS approach I get all indications perfectly. With a VOR it's like the VOR is dead. So thinking it was I've been trying a few. I also have a Val Nav 2000 and that receives the VORs fine. Does the 430 put out the signals to the Skyview on the same channels for VORs and ILS? I think so. I have the Arinc 429 installed, but I know I ran some serial wires between the 430 and skyview.

Richard Fazio
RV-6, Skyview 10"
AP, ADS-B, Xponder
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 6:23am

airguy   Offline
SkyView Flight Tester
Gods Country - west Texas

Are you receiving the Morse identifier on the 430W for the VOR?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 10:25am

RayInGA   Offline
Expert
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

You might try swapping your NAV and GS inputs on the 430 and see if the problem moves.

Ray Eaker
RV-7A flying since 27 Jan 2017
Dual Skyview 1000T with all available Dynon VFR goodies
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 6:23am

airguy   Offline
SkyView Flight Tester
Gods Country - west Texas

There are two wires specifically for the VOR/ILS data from the 430W to the 429 ARINC. Channel A goes from pin 24 of the 4006 connector on the 430 to pin 22 on the ARINC, and channel B goes from pin 23 of the 4006 connector on the 430 to pin 10 on the ARINC. I know that the ILS data goes on channel B, I had a broken wire on that pin a while back that stopped my ILS function from displaying - but I don't know if the VOR data is on the same channel, or on channel A.

The GPS data (both directions) is carried on a separate set of connections and will display just fine regardless of the condition of the VOR/ILS side.
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2018 at 6:26am by airguy »  
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 9:55am

Richard Fazio   Offline

Good idea, Airguy. I'll see if I'm getting the identifier. I did try swapping the antennas. I switched between the second NAV and the Garmin. Same exact thing so I don't think it's antenna related. Thanks guys, I'm going to do more detective work this week.

Richard Fazio
RV-6, Skyview 10"
AP, ADS-B, Xponder
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print