Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Dynon Avionics, Inc.

Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Two Transponder installation Possibility (Read 164 times)
Nov 4th, 2018 at 10:51am

Edwardoc   Offline
I love flying!
Colorado

I am about to order the SV-261 and 2020 Antenna and associated hardware to take advantage of the new rebate and have a question.  Presently have a single screen 1000  and SV-470 and and  an Appolo SL 70 transponder. Is it possible to install the 261 and somehow leave the SL-70 also hooked up as a backup?  Is it worth the effort to leave it installed after 2019 in anyones opinion?  Would you have to reconfigure the 1000 to switch from one to the other since you have to tell the 1000 what you have installed? If so kind of impractical to have both.  Comments appreciated. Shocked

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 1:21pm

gtae07   Offline
Frequent Poster
I love flying!

Edwardoc wrote on Nov 4th, 2018 at 10:51am:
I am about to order the SV-261 and 2020 Antenna and associated hardware to take advantage of the new rebate and have a question.  Presently have a single screen 1000  and SV-470 and and  an Appolo SL 70 transponder. Is it possible to install the 261 and somehow leave the SL-70 also hooked up as a backup?  Is it worth the effort to leave it installed after 2019 in anyones opinion?  Would you have to reconfigure the 1000 to switch from one to the other since you have to tell the 1000 what you have installed? If so kind of impractical to have both.  Comments appreciated. Shocked

Ditch it.  Serves no purpose with a 1090 Out system.  And you don't need a backup transponder; save the weight and power for more gas and more critical systems.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 1:24pm

Garrett   Offline
I love flying!
Tampa Fl

If you ground pin 17 (ext disable) on the SV-261 it will go into standby mode there probably is one on the Apollo transponder. You would not have to reconfigure the 1000 either. Just use a SPDT switch to toggle between either transponder. I have a similar setup with a Garmin 330ES so I have a backup.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 11:16am

RayInGA   Offline
Expert
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

You can have two transponders but the Trig units have proven to be very reliable. I agree that the SL-70 is extra weight and could be turned into Avgas on the open market.

Ray Eaker
RV-7A flying since 27 Jan 2017
Dual Skyview 1000T with all available Dynon VFR goodies
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print