Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Dynon Avionics, Inc.

Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dynon ADS-B/Transponder Traffic alert error (Read 575 times)
Nov 12th, 2018 at 9:09am

Raf64   Offline
I love flying!

I have dual Dynon Skyview Touch systems in my 2015 RV12 SLSA. I keep getting erratic Traffic Alerts, which displayed, is my aircraft that is the target. How do I eliminate this anomaly, if that makes sense?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 4:59am

Garrett   Offline
I love flying!
Tampa Fl

It is a problem in ATC's mode S radar traffic software that has been there since the software was deployed and was noticed after the system was deployed almost 20 years ago. The software bug causes your system to sometimes see your aircraft   as a target "its own shadow". There was no money left to fix in the original FAA contract and they decided to live with it. This is not a DYNON problem and all manufactures mode S transponders have this problem in common.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 8:35am

Raf64   Offline
I love flying!

Thank you for that information. Interesting I dont see that anamoly/flaw in the ATC system when I fly at my commercial airline job. Your info just saved me money that would have been spent at the local avionics shop. Thanks again!

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 9:22am

Garrett   Offline
I love flying!
Tampa Fl

The airlines use TCAS.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 11:04am

RayInGA   Offline
Expert
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

Make sure your SV has the correct tail number and HEX code for your aircraft. You can also get a performance report from the FAA on your ADS-B OUT functionality.

https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx

Ray Eaker
RV-7A flying since 27 Jan 2017
Dual Skyview 1000T with all available Dynon VFR goodies
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 7:34am

kellym   Offline
I love flying!

RayInGA wrote on Nov 13th, 2018 at 11:04am:
Make sure your SV has the correct tail number and HEX code for your aircraft. You can also get a performance report from the FAA on your ADS-B OUT functionality.

https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx

Excellent point. Also, check the software version on the transponder. It should be at least 2.09, and current is 2.11, as well as the main firmware version.
I believe the current software only requires entering tail number, that hex code look-up is done automatically.
Firmware updates slightly more complicated for RV-12s now that Vans only produces configuration files and you have to get the updates for the firmware directly from Dynon. Not to mention that transponder update is separate from main firmware update.
If you need a transponder update, pay careful attention to the warnings not to change what is powered up or down during a software update. Too many transponders have been bricked by someone either turning a second screen on or off during an update.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2018 at 10:47am

George K   Offline

Maybe Dynon could suppress the ghosting for the one case where the Atc system sends the tail-number of the target and it matches ownship tail#?

Glide
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 1:04pm

Joe Wilbur   Offline
Frequent Poster
kcjr

Interesting. I made a flight from Leesburg, VA to Cumberland, MD (JYO-CBE) yesterday and had an instance of this ghosting between mountain ridges. I flew the reverse course a little later and 3000 feet higher and over approximately the same spot had the same ghosting. I have a dual HDX system with Dynon's dual band ADS-B and the GPS-2020.

I got a traffic alert for my own aircraft. Got my attention to hear Bossy (that's what we call the Dynon voice) call out, "traffic, traffic" and see a target at my altitude and position. Assuming the traffic was under my low-wing RV-10, I climbed quick. Before I had a chance to zoom in the display the target was gone. Returning at about the same location had the same thing happen.

Also interesting is that in another post someone reported an ADS-B issue they had flying essentially the same route (CBE - FDK). Probably coincidence. But you never know...

http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1456362192

« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2018 at 1:16pm by Joe Wilbur »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print