Welcome to the Dynon Avionics forum!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rv12 regular buzzing (Read 589 times)
Nov 30th, 2018 at 9:30am

mike newall   Offline
Frequent Poster

Just test flown our RV12, 2017 Vans software install on Dynon Skyview HDX.

All set up fine, seems OK but have an annoying regular buzzing noise through the intercom.

https://photos.smugmug.com/RV-Photos/i-42TjkN5/0/cef29d90/640/IMG_1261-640.mp4

After checking, we think this is the cause.

Because the flight testing is being done at a non fuelled airstrip, I decided to use the direct reading gauge for flight testing and then go to a gassed airfield with min fuel, drain down and then be able to safely dispense fuel gallon by gallon.

Now, the annoying buzz is directly in time with a warning thingy on the Dynon and I am now wondering if you have set up two levels of alarm - low level attention getter and OMG - yo, gunna perish boy ! It is the only uncleared alarm because the Dynon thinks I have no gas !

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 10:57am

RayInGA   Offline
Expert
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

You can disable the audible alarm until your fuel sensors are calibrated. I did the same with my CHT warning due to occasional issues with one sensor that I plan to fix with different connectors.

Ray Eaker
RV-7A flying since 27 Jan 2017
Dual Skyview 1000T with all available Dynon VFR goodies
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 11:03am

mike newall   Offline
Frequent Poster

OK,  Now calibrated the tank, the warning has gone away and the buzzing continues.

Any other suggestions ?

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 1:25pm

RayInGA   Offline
Expert
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

I suspect you have a widget configured that is triggering the alarm but may not be visible on the EMS part of the screen.

Ray Eaker
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 7:01pm

Waldo   Offline
Frequent Poster
RV-7A Dual Skyviews/ADAHRS
Peachtree City, GA

mike newall wrote on Nov 30th, 2018 at 9:30am:
Just test flown our RV12, 2017 Vans software install on Dynon Skyview HDX.

All set up fine, seems OK but have an annoying regular buzzing noise through the intercom.

[img]

After checking, we think this is the cause.

Because the flight testing is being done at a non fuelled airstrip, I decided to use the direct reading gauge for flight testing and then go to a gassed airfield with min fuel, drain down and then be able to safely dispense fuel gallon by gallon.

Now, the annoying buzz is directly in time with a warning thingy on the Dynon .......

You have the gain set too high on your AV-50000A for the Skyview audio input.  There are input potentiometers on the side of that unit that control volume from every input (radio, intercom, stall, etc).  I had the same issue... Turn up audio output on the SkyView (the one that repeats "Dynon Skyview") to 100%, then turn the input to the AV-50000A counterclockwise with a very small flat screw driver.  That will fix the problem.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2019 at 7:39am

mike newall   Offline
Frequent Poster

Tried altering the gain, no effect.  Turned off every alarm, no effect.  Tried earthing the Dynon case direct to intercom, no effect.  Pulled each CB, no effect.

The buzz is at exactly 1 second intervals and corresponds with the seconds on the clock.

We have two identical installs on two identical RV12's built as per plans and they both have the same regular buzz.

I cannot access any of the individual cables, nor should I have to as it all came plug and play from Vans with the Stein test coupons for each cable.

Any other suggestions ?

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2019 at 8:23am

DHeal   Offline
I love flying!
Santa Rosa, CA

Out-of-the-box here but could the one-second pulsations be associated with strobe/lighting wig-wag electrical interference?

EAA #23982 -- EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor -- CFI-A&I
RV-12 E-LSA (SV w/ AP & ADS-B)   N124DH   Based at STS (Santa Rosa, CA)
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2019 at 10:23am

mike newall   Offline
Frequent Poster

We are troubleshooting without wings on, so not connected.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 6:46am

RayInGA   Offline
Expert
I love aviation!
Richmond Hill, GA

The one second interval could be related to your transponder. There have been cases where the transponder output was being picked up by the ELT, which has a buzzer.

Try pulling the transponder fuse/breaker and see if the noise goes away.

Ray Eaker
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 2:47pm

mike newall   Offline
Frequent Poster

Have....

Doesn't

Sad

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 3:48pm

Dynon Avionics   Offline
Dynon Official
Dynon Technical Support

Is there ANYTHING at all that is messaging or alerting on button 8 when you're hearing this? The only other thing I can think of is that there's an EMS alarm light line output that will fire with alarms. If that line was going somewhere that wasn't a light, and there was some alert firing, I wonder if you're hearing that line go open and closed (it's a switch to ground that you'd put a light on the other side of). I don't remember the interval of when that line opens/closes, but that buzz seems pretty sync'd with the alerts (from the earlier video).

Please do not use Private Messaging on form to contact. For private support:
Email: support at dynonavionics dot com
Phone: 425-402-0433 (7am-5pm Pacific weekdays)
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 3:36am

mike newall   Offline
Frequent Poster

That is interesting.
We have no EMS light as it alerts through the Skyview.
I will have a look today.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print